Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,342 Posts
I could probably remove it quicker than I can type how to remove that seal.

Since you already have the holes in the seal, drive a narrow screwdriver into the edge of one of the holes at a very shallow angle, as if you are trying to spin the seal. ....JUST TAKE CARE NOT TO GOUGE OR SCRATCH THE SHAFT OR HOUSING !!!

Sometimes you can spin the seal in the housing and "steer" it upward out of the housing.

Sometimes you can use the screwdriver to pry the seal upward out of the housing.

Other times you can use a narrow screwdriver to collapse the outer metal rim of the seal inward toward the shaft. ...The seal can be easily extracted.

Whichever method you use, TAKE CARE NOT TO GOUGE OR SCRATCH THE SHAFT OR HOUSING !!!

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,843 Posts
You might have to crush it in on it's self using a Chisel. Be careful you don't hit the shaft or go to deep and whack the bearing. There is a regular ball type bearing just inside of that seal and a needle bearing on the other end of that shaft.

Those seals are about 3/8" deep and a very tight fit. When you go to put the new seal in pop it in the freezer for about an hour. Install it when it's still cold and It will almost slip in without having to drive it in. Use a socket that is just a hair smaller than the hole and tap it home with a hammer.

New seal.

·
Registered
671 Posts
That looks like the original seal. There's a good chance that it's the old style rawhide type. If it is then you're going to have to completely destroy the seal to get it out. Take a small chisel and pick a spot on the outer edge and work around the outer edge about 1-2 inches worth till it crushes in toward the shaft. Then make a hole where you were hitting it with the chisel and start prying/pulling on the metal till it tears and you can get the part where you put the screws in before to pull out. Once that's out, there'll be what looks like a second seal put in backwards. That's the outer case of the seal. Then repeat the process to take the remains of the seal out. Usually takes me at least 1/2 an hour to get the ones that size out

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've pulled a lot of seals (auto tech) but i had a new idea when i looked at this thread.. use some small rivets, don't squeeze them all the way, and then grab under the heads with claw hammer or small crowbar and pry on them. No idea if that would work. I've never though of it before. heh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts