Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I would scrape the exterior first before taking the head off to get all the heavy stuff off. Use oven cleaner & elbow grease then wire brush any tuff stuff. It's a long process but as we all know very rewarding at the end. When cleaning the head if your not going to dismantle close your valves before wire brushing. I'm not sure if your doing a complete overhaul but I think I would especially as bad as this is & you were talking about replacing bearings earlier. This would be easier to clean then you could concentrate on each part separately.

Reactions: Gabriel and Alc

·
Anything Red . . .
12,032 Posts
Oh, alright! If you won't try that, Permatex Gasket Remover will desolve it without any scraping. Just spray it on and wipe it off.

·
the homeless tractor hoarder
5,248 Posts
A heavy dose of oven cleaner all over the outside and a good pressure wash before opening it up.

Then a soak and scrub down in mineral spirits for all internal parts.

That engine has been overheated pretty severly with that much blockage in the cooling fins. I imagine it needs a complete overhaul.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help everyone!! I am going to do a complete overhaul (that's why I didn't clean anything before I started taking it apart).

G

·
Gabriel, if your doing a complete over haul take it all apart the take it to the local machine shop , they can boil the block bore it if needed and valves too in 1 shot. looks to me like a good boil job would do wonders for it. my 2 cents worth.

·
59 Posts
Gabriel, if your doing a complete over haul take it all apart the take it to the local machine shop , they can boil the block bore it if needed and valves too in 1 shot. looks to me like a good boil job would do wonders for it. my 2 cents worth.
I agree, I would take all the dismantled parts (head, block, valves, ect.) to the machine shop. That way they can boil all of them and regrind the valve seats at the same time probably be $100 or so but well worth it and then you know all the parts are good to go!

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
For the outside I use "Spray nine" and a rotating 0deg nozzle on a pressure washer with hot water.

Cover up all the holes, openings and it works great for removing oil, grease, dirt, and loose paint, flaking rust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts