Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a nice graphic that showed the clevis and rod lengths for the HT sized push rods. Can't find it. Thought it would be in the manuals section. Anyone help?

Reactions: MyBolens1053

·
83 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In case you or anyone else is looking for some threaded rod to make new push rods, here's an amazon link to ones that I purchased in the past. Just click on the drop down menu, unclick the default length, and choose the length you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Threaded-Equally-Threads-Lengths/dp/B00DCB7BLK/ref=sr_1_10?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1436982153&sr=1-10&refinements=p_item_length_string-bin%3A24+inches%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A5485798011
The rods I have appear homemade and are bent. Probably that cheap grade 2 all thread from tractor supply. Napa sells grade 5 in 3 foot sticks for about $12, which is cheaper than the 5/8" with threaded ends on Amazon. He just lists it as carbon steel and doesn't give a grade. Paul

·
83 Posts
The rods I have appear homemade and are bent. Probably that cheap grade 2 all thread from tractor supply. Napa sells grade 5 in 3 foot sticks for about $12, which is cheaper than the 5/8" with threaded ends on Amazon. He just lists it as carbon steel and doesn't give a grade. Paul
The Amazon rods are listed at a tensile strength of 125k psi which is on par with grade 5. I have bent a few of the stock Bolens push arms, even snapped one, but haven't had any trouble with the Amazon rods. Yes the all thread will work, but the effective diameter will be reduced compared to regular bar stock, reducing it's overall strength.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Amazon rods are listed at a tensile strength of 125k psi which is on par with grade 5. I have bent a few of the stock Bolens push arms, even snapped one, but haven't had any trouble with the Amazon rods. Yes the all thread will work, but the effective diameter will be reduced compared to regular bar stock, reducing it's overall strength.
Sorry to bug you again. Guy at napa was wrong. Their rod was grade 2. I will try the amazon rod. Will have to cut 1 1/4" off, so will probably take 5/8" off each end to keep the threads consistent. Thanks!

·
83 Posts
Sorry to bug you again. Guy at napa was wrong. Their rod was grade 2. I will try the amazon rod. Will have to cut 1 1/4" off, so will probably take 5/8" off each end to keep the threads consistent. Thanks!
Try them out first as you may be able to just cheat the clevis end enough to make them work. I bought longer than needed for my 1250 and they work ok.

·
Registered
483 Posts
is there a reason they are adjustable?
Adjusted one way, you get good solid down pressure for something like scraping with a plow blade. The other way gives more height. My snowblower has skids and sits just above ground. I am then able to raise it higher for working into deep drifts.

Paul

·
Deere Hunter
270 Posts
thanks for the response, because i have a plow for my 1250 but no rods, so i have some flat stock and it wouldn't take much to make a few pieces, so is 26.5 what everyone sets theirs at or is that just the standard, because i thought that you had down pressure until you put it in the float postion?

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
thanks for the response, because i have a plow for my 1250 but no rods, so i have some flat stock and it wouldn't take much to make a few pieces, so is 26.5 what everyone sets theirs at or is that just the standard, because i thought that you had down pressure until you put it in the float postion?
The stock rods (not including the clevis ends) are 22-3/4" for the Kohler-powered Large Frames, and 20-1/4" for the Wisconsin-powered Large Frames.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In case you or anyone else is looking for some threaded rod to make new push rods, here's an amazon link to ones that I purchased in the past. Just click on the drop down menu, unclick the default length, and choose the length you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Threaded-Equally-Threads-Lengths/dp/B00DCB7BLK/ref=sr_1_10?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1436982153&sr=1-10&refinements=p_item_length_string-bin%3A24+inches%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A5485798011
Amazon had one pair on hand for $33.63 + shipping, and/or free shipping for orders over $49. I ordered 2 pair to see if I could avoid the shipping charge. They invoiced me for $67.26, but only charged me half of that and shipped the first batch. Got the rods a couple weeks ago. Good quality stuff and has a flat spot in the center for holding with a wrench. Yesterday they charged me for the second batch and are preparing to ship. Nice. Worked out to be separate orders with free shipping on both! :) Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts