Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel rather dumb asking this but I guess I should just let my ignorance shine. I have an HT20D that came with a non-stock fuel tank. It was more like a very heavy bottle mounted where the muffler mount normally is. I'm replacing it with a plastic large frame fuel tank. The cap is the kind with the fuel gauge in it, and it's in pretty bad shape. I'm looking for a replacement cap and I see that there are Vented and Non-vented versions. Mine looks like it has a little hole drilled in the (formerly) clear lens, but it came from an HT23 so it would have been for a gas engine. Do I need a vented cap for my diesel, and if so would just drilling a small hole in the lens of a non-vented cap be sufficient? So far I haven't been able to find a Vented cap with the right dimensions.

Thanks for the help! I'm learning as I go here.

Attachments

·
customizer
540 Posts

·
Got Sum
1,221 Posts
Couple things: curious where your return lines came into the old set up ( here is a pic of my 20D tank) mine doesn't have the cap/gauge combo no idea what was original , parts manual lists a separate number for the 20D compared to the 20 & 23 ones. My thoughts are non-vented because of the fuel return line setup. Kelch makes both in vented & non-vented in the correct length 13 1/2". I have gotten these for my other large frames from two of our site sponsors: Rick Show , Rick's Bolens parts. & Bob Hill , Bob's lawn & garden tractors (as far as drilling a hole if you need a vent,no, the vented ones are baffled to keep the fuel out of the gauge part of the cap)

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a picture of how it was set up. The two return lines joined in a T and then one line fed back to the top of the bottle tank. The PO used the stock T to make the join. I took a plastic tank from a parts HT23, ordered the rubber bushing, drilled a hole in the top of the tank, and put the T in there.

Now that I look at the picture, I see a vent hole in the top of the bottle tank. That's probably my answer right there.

HT20D engine 1.jpg

Attachments

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts