Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MMMMmmmm DIESEL
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has been into the Ducati 2IS22/ Wisconsin wd2-860? Currently trying to diagnose my slow wind up and excessive white smoke.

Injectors were rebuilt with new nozzles and set at the correct pressure last year, measured the rack actuating rod it was correct, Governor flyweights seems to be working and in spec. Rack seems to move free.

I'm down to thinking the timing is to far advanced, I've heard of the motors slipping the gear on the cam.

How tough is it to reset the timing? Is there a fix for the gear slippage?

I'm really trying not to do an engine swap cause I like originality, but I got a Lombardini 10ld-400-2 that would power it adequately and I'd have parts availability and it'd be an easy swap.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you suspect the cam timing is off you can probably check it with a cam degree wheel, and dial indicator. I couldn't help with pump specs, but I'm sure someone else can.

Have you run a compression test on it? Any blowby on the block?

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Are you running a fuel management system on it like a PC III or Fuel pak? If so I would remove it first and then see what it does.

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
Do you have the shop manual for the Wiscon/Ducati engine? If not, I uploaded it to the manuals section some time ago.

·
MMMMmmmm DIESEL
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have not done a compression test but it's got plenty to run.

Yes I do have the manual but it's on my phone and is in 4 different languages. It's also pretty vague.

Think I'm gonna pull the motor so I can work on it on the bench

Reactions: blackjackjakexxix

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Have not done a compression test but it's got plenty to run.
Yes I do have the manual but it's on my phone and is in 4 different languages. It's also pretty vague.
Think I'm gonna pull the motor so I can work on it on the bench
Reason I asked about the compression test is it could possibly have a cracked, or stuck ring. IF, that was the case, it would still run, but smoke, and start hard like you described from unburnt fuel.

Does the exhaust have any wet residue in it?

Reactions: blackjackjakexxix

·
MMMMmmmm DIESEL
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah it's dry, it acts like injection timing. The way it snaps and pops.

Motor is now out and on the bench for a better diagnosis

Attachments

Reactions: LPBolens

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Looks like you have a good helper in the 1st pic;)

Reactions: pulltilbroke

·
MMMMmmmm DIESEL
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The hooligan is actually dad's, they were displaced by a house fire and he wasn't acclimating to motel life.

But back to the tractor cam timing looks to be dead on according to the timing mark on the flywheel and came gear, now I'm wondering if the cam box pump is shimmer correctly for injecting timing and plunger lift. Also wondering if the fuel setting is to low

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Looks like your narrowing it down. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
MMMMmmmm DIESEL
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's back together, however till not right.

I've made the decision that it's gonna get a Lombardini, tired of pissing with this dumpster fire of a ducati.

Last picture is a kubota d902 sitting in ther bay.

Attachments

Reactions: Mark 149 J.

·
Tractorholic
283 Posts
Eventually ill have to dig into my Ducati as well. Actually both of mine. I suspect pump timing is off. Previous owner said it got out of time once before. The spare engine i bought was also said to be out of time. too many projects and too little time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts