Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall, i picked up a bunch of parts for a MF12. These in combination with the Scrap Massey should be enough to eventually put one together that looks a little better than ugly.

In the pile were a set of hub caps that looked like they were on the loser at the smash up derby & then put in a bucket of salt water. Nasty rust, pitted, chrome mostly gone. They were either going to be unsafe frisbees or an experiment or two.
Brown Tableware Serveware Dishware Staple food
Brown Wood Artifact Eyewear Tints and shades

I put them in the e-bath one at a time, sanded, primered, decided that i should at least beat out the worst of the dents. When it was all done, they are more grey than silver. The "Chrome" paint is more like aluminum and I can't seem to find a clear coat that won't turn it to junk. They were unprotected (following a recoat) and I decided that a little wax might be the answer... an hour later they are all metalic grey. Grrrr. Oh well, I had nothing to lose, they are at least passable. If I ever decide to try something different, The aluminum paint shouldn't come off to hard.

Light Circle Metal Ceiling Light bulb
Automotive lighting Tin Circle Metal Currency

Attachments

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Alan ,those look great.
You can't tell from the photo that that is only chrome paint.

Reactions: MH81

·
Super Moderator
54,611 Posts

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
...If I ever decide to try something different, The aluminum paint shouldn't come off to hard.
Yeah, all you'll have to do is shoot some clear coat over them!

Sorry, I had to do it. They look pretty good to me! Nice job!

You could always get one of those Nickel plating kits like Dan has too!

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Alan, they are a huge improvement from where they were. They look good in the photos.

·
Tractorholic
626 Posts
They were to rich for my blood
Which set? There was two sets last week that went for around $150-160 per set of four. And this week there was a USED set on, $201.50 for the TWO 8" and 201.50 for the TWO rear 12". Over $400 total. Crazy. Doesn't make much sense.

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Which set? There was two sets last week that went for around $150-160 per set of four. And this week there was a USED set on, $201.50 for the TWO 8" and 201.50 for the TWO rear 12". Over $400 total. Crazy. Doesn't make much sense.
I missed the ones last week.Thats not as bad as the ones this week.

Alan those hubcaps look 110%better than what they did.!

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Alan, I don't think they look so bad at all. Pretty good if you ask me. But then I'm looking at them from at least 750 miles away!

·
Tractorholic
507 Posts
When I got a body job done on my van, I got the shop to paint from the top of the wheel wells down with straight silver metallic paint. The first time I saw it after the paint job, it looked like chrome and I couldn't see the break line between the polished aluminum trim around the wheel openings and the paint from 40'. That was mostly because of the lighting, but I did get a lot of compliments on the paint scheme.

Try straight silver auto paint and clear coat from a paint supplier. The silver for matching the manufacturers silver is usually mixed with other colours. It's not the same as chrome, but it looks great and you can hide the dings well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts