Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a Snapper 1650 with 3 point, It has the rear hydraulic cylinder with a slightly bent shaft and significant fluid leak. I haven't spotted a reasonably priced cylinder anywhere. I was wondering if anyone had info that could give a matching cylinder that fits another tractor brand? I have seen a case/ingersol that looked very much like it but I'm just not sure.

Thanks for any help,

Reg

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I'd figure out the bore and stroke of the cylinder and the pin size and try to cross one that way. I can try if I have that information.

Ben W.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd figure out the bore and stroke of the cylinder and the pin size and try to cross one that way. I can try if I have that information.

Ben W.
Ok I finally had to give up and start this process. My cylinder has an extremely pitted shaft (got it this way and the guy pointed it out). So looking to replace. I used the video below to measure. Here goes: Retracted Dimension is 9 and 3/4 inches (closed center of pin to center of pin), Stroke I measured 5 and 7/8 inches and subtracted 2 inches per instructions for 3 and 7/8 inches. (center of work port to center of work port and subtract approximately 2 inches) Bore I measured 2 and 1/4 inches (inside diameter of tubing or big round housing). Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Reg

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm actually interested in this too. I'll try to take some measurements soon to confirm yours, and maybe we can look together for something.

Reactions: gtcsreg

·
Super Moderator
54,332 Posts
Put some pics up of this cylinder. What pin size to attach it?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put some pics up of this cylinder. What pin size to attach it?
It's raining now and I've been soaked twice so I'll get pin size latter. Do you mean the pin that attaches to the tractor and the pin that attaches to the 3pt? I assume diameter is what you need?

Thanks,

Reg

Attachments

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Bore - 2"

Stroke - 4"

Look around for a used shock absorber with the same size rod for a replacement. You'll have to get the ends threaded to match the original and a seat ground in it to fit the piston.
That is absolute genius!
Sure is genius! Thanks Bob! I have a couple rough shafts on JB Bush Hogs, but shock absorbers may not have long enough shafting.....but I'll find out!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bore - 2"

Stroke - 4"

Look around for a used shock absorber with the same size rod for a replacement. You'll have to get the ends threaded to match the original and a seat ground in it to fit the piston.
All the old scrap yards I used to go to as a kid dried up along time ago. Scrap iron prices drove them to liquidate a few years back. I'd buy a new shock if needed but I'd really prefer finding a new suitable replacement. Since I went back to work and took on deacon responsibility at church I've had very little free time for the projects I'd like to do. Thanks for the option and your time though.

Reg

·
Super Moderator
54,332 Posts
This is a 3-point lift cylinder? On the back side of a Massey? That may just be the ticket! But you will have to redo your mount to fit it!

·
Tractorholic
507 Posts
Sure is genius! Thanks Bob! I have a couple rough shafts on JB Bush Hogs, but shock absorbers may not have long enough shafting.....but I'll find out!
MacPherson struts are longer than the shocks on regular pickup trucks

All the old scrap yards I used to go to as a kid dried up along time ago. Scrap iron prices drove them to liquidate a few years back. I'd buy a new shock if needed but I'd really prefer finding a new suitable replacement. Since I went back to work and took on deacon responsibility at church I've had very little free time for the projects I'd like to do. Thanks for the option and your time though.

Reg
Check the scrap bins at Midas and other shops. Farm out the threading and grinding to a machine shop.

Machine shops can also get the chrome plated rod stock, but that stuff does not come cheap. Likewise, they can machine a new rod from superior ground shafting of the correct diameter, then send it out for the chrome plating.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Surplus-Center/2-5X4X1-25-DA-HYD-CYL-HEAVY-DUTY-CLEVIS-9-7716-4.axd Very confused. Not exact but wonder if it would work. Can't just throw money at this unless I'm pretty certain. Anyone used this for their 1650 3 pt.?

There are several reasons why that it is not a viable alternative.

- Too long for the available space.

- Too large in diameter for the available space.

- Base end pin hole is much too large.

- Rod end clevis must be removed and the rod threaded for the original clevis.

- Area of the piston is 56% larger than the original which will exert 3141 lb of force at the max pressure available from a Sundstrand.

Max rated load for the 3PH on a Peerless 2500 final drive is 400 lb. The existing cylinder is capable of exceeding that by a small margin at 700 psi. A 56% increase in available force is going to cause damage if used. Does anyone know of any operator who will not try out that capability at some point? Be honest now!

Yes, the original cylinder does its work retracting. The percentages apply the same, about 17% less pulling force than pushing force.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts