Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement filter for the hydro filter on the Massey MF12H? I did some google searching yesterday and it seems to be a lack of results along with a result or two for places I don't want to visit LOL.

The hydro on the 12H I just got seems to be pretty strong but does seem to have a sluggishness to it. I would like to service it and use it for my mowing machine this summer. I have the mower deck I got with my MF12G stripped down waiting for the new bearings to get here. Going to sandblast the underside and the top under the cover and paint it.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
427 Posts
I got the filter for my 12h at a New Holland dealer. The part# is JAC 545440. It was pricey but it's not something you need to replace often. Definitely worth it for your tractor, I think you'll see a night and day difference. I did find the filter online also: New Holland JAC545440 FILTER, ELEMENT
 

·
Elf guardian
Joined
·
7,712 Posts
broken2 said:
I got the filter for my 12h at a New Holland dealer. The part# is JAC 545440. It was pricey but it's not something you need to replace often. Definitely worth it for your tractor, I think you'll see a night and day difference. I did find the filter online also: New Holland JAC545440 FILTER, ELEMENT
I thought they were NLA.
It was an exact replacement?
That'd be great.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,609 Posts
I'd like to see a pic of this filter. None of the New Holland sites show one. Is it a screw on, or in line?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KennyP said:
I'd like to see a pic of this filter. None of the New Holland sites show one. Is it a screw on, or in line?
I think it is a screw on just like a regular oil filter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
broken2 said:
I got the filter for my 12h at a New Holland dealer. The part# is JAC 545440. It was pricey but it's not something you need to replace often. Definitely worth it for your tractor, I think you'll see a night and day difference. I did find the filter online also: New Holland JAC545440 FILTER, ELEMENT
Thanks a bunch Dan, I am going to add your post to a sticky so we have the info for the filter readily available to everyone. We have a New Holland dealer up by our work and I will call them tomorrow to see if they have one in stock.

I think part of the issue with the 12H I got is the forward/reverse control needs adjusted. I wanted to also ask, is the rearend and hydro oil separate on the 12H? I am assuming they are but I am not sure and haven't dug in to it enough to know. I know it has the reservoir for the hydro under the seat.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
427 Posts
The filter is internal, you have to drop the pan to get to it. The filter is a slide on and there is a spring that sits between the trans pan and the filter to keep it in place.I'm pretty sure it is a direct replacement filter. When I dropped my pan I discovered that someone had made a filter for it by sticking 2 small filters together with gasket sealer and then placing rubber shims between it and the pan, no spring. I installed the new filter and used a valve spring I had, it was a perfect fit.

The rearend and hydro oil are separate. Regular gear oil for rearend and I used ATF for the hydro.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
broken2 said:
The filter is internal, you have to drop the pan to get to it. The filter is a slide on and there is a spring that sits between the trans pan and the filter to keep it in place.I'm pretty sure it is a direct replacement filter. When I dropped my pan I discovered that someone had made a filter for it by sticking 2 small filters together with gasket sealer and then placing rubber shims between it and the pan, no spring. I installed the new filter and used a valve spring I had, it was a perfect fit.

The rearend and hydro oil are separate. Regular gear oil for rearend and I used ATF for the hydro.
I am glad you said about the internal filter. I thought for sure it was a screw on but I think I am getting the tractors mixed up. Were you able to use gasket maker rtv for the oil pan gasket or did you get a replacement gasket?
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
427 Posts
NUTNDUN said:
Were you able to use gasket maker rtv for the oil pan gasket or did you get a replacement gasket?
I was careful and able to save the old one, I think it stuck to the pan. RTV would probably work if you can't save the gasket.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top