Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
This particular tractor calls for 10w 30 motor oil in hydraulic system.
Same pump as many other makes that call for ATF, so nothing is hurt with the ATF in there. 10w30 is better for warm/hot weather or older worn systems, so a simple oil change will take care of that. I doubt very seriously you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same pump as many other makes that call for ATF, so nothing is hurt with the ATF in there. 10w30 is better for warm/hot weather or older worn systems, so a simple oil change will take care of that. I doubt very seriously you have anything to worry about.
So now my problem is I don't really know what it is and I'm low on fluid. U think its just ATF?

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
This particular tractor calls for 10w 30 motor oil in hydraulic system.
Probably back when that hydraulic system was built. A lot of advancements have been made in lubricants in those years. If one can use hydraulic fluid, or ATF in a $250K tractor why won't it work in a $1k tractor ? ?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably back when that hydraulic system was built. A lot of advancements have been made in lubricants in those years. If one can use hydraulic fluid, or ATF in a $250K tractor why won't it work in a $1k tractor ? ?
Will it get the tractor to move? Why yes. But is it actually the right choice? For some reason the hydro release plunger blew out and leaked oil everywhere. One guy thought maybe using hydraulic oil built up pressure? Who knows? But if my car suggested using 10w 30 I don't think I'd run whatever would work per say. Just trying to get the right answer.
Thanks

·
Registered
695 Posts
Probably back when that hydraulic system was built. A lot of advancements have been made in lubricants in those years. If one can use hydraulic fluid, or ATF in a $250K tractor why won't it work in a $1k tractor?
IH/Cub Cadet Hy-Tran (a red hydraulic/ATF type lubricant) was used/spec'd in the Cub Cadets that had the similar Sundstrand hydro unit in them. I had a car with a manual transmission that spec'd ATF as the lubricant. Either will work fine in these machines. I like to stick with what Ariens spec'd and run with the motor oil. If I got a tractor that had a recent change/fill with ATF, I would leave it.

As Shorty said, if you need to add, I would change it and switch to motor oil. I never feel bad about changing oil in something I don't know the history on.

·
Anything Red . . .
12,075 Posts
In a Wheel Horse it is very difficult to remove all the fluid when draining trans. Therefore you would possibly be mixing two different fluids that are incompatible. How is your situation?

·
Registered
813 Posts
New Holland has a multi 134 oil in them which is red in color so the dealer mechanics know that for warranty purposes you have used their recommended oil! As a suggestion use what the manual recommends and you will not regret it. Factory specifications are usually in your best interest as the manufacturer does not want farm equipment and such breaking down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.