Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied this from earlier post since it seems I can't edit.
Update- got the tractor, and now I found a guy has a 46" running mower for cheap w/ a 22hp Kohler. (He sold house, lives in condo & mower at friends, he's on the ropes!). But his has a hydro. HMMMMMMM, which mower to fix. The 46 is newer, my yard is flat. So guys, not knowing about these newer mowers with Kohler engines I rely on you on the forum to give me which you'd choose (assuming the 46 checks out tomorrow).

·
Registered
32 Posts
For ease of mowing the hydro is hard to beat. Some of the newer machines have a pretty cheap built transmission but on your level yard you'd probably get a lot of service from one. For reasonable money, I'd go with the running mower.

·
Registered
Ingersoll 224, 1989
205 Posts
The Kohler Twin on my 2001 Craftsman died at 400 hours. Hydrostatic unit replaced once under warranty, but other than that it worked well on hills and would pull my 5x10 utility trailer around the yard. I would get the one that appears to have been better taken care of. If equal in the that regard and both running, go for the one with fewest hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Bought the 46 hydro yesterday. Watched it run & cut, no smoke but LOUD. Obviously cant compare it to the blown one, but muffler is side on the 46, front on the 48. But the hair on my butt stands up more when I look at the GT3000 with the stick. Just LOOKS bigger, and it's better maintained. Testosterone and practicality are having a war...........................

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys. Ran the hydro today. A little strange coming from a vari-drive, but I may keep it. It makes a bit of noise starting moving, sounds like low on fluid in a car. On a search, I get synthetic 10w40 oil or 15w50 and a stens 120-380 filter. That sound right? Suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If that uses an external filter it may have a separate hydraulic unit and differential. Separate gears can be some noisy like that but use a 90wt gear lube sometimes. Hydro unit can use a 10w40. Not sure what you have under there though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hydros are always noisy taking off. I would not try to change the oil. It can be a challenge. I'm sure I'd choose a hydro for mowing. I actaually mow our yard with my dad's JD D105 with the cheesy plastic CVT transmission. It's very annoying (to me anyway) to have to stop and shift from forward to reverse.

·
Super Moderator
55,398 Posts
Hydros are always noisy taking off. I would not try to change the oil. It can be a challenge. I'm sure I'd choose a hydro for mowing. I actaually mow our yard with my dad's JD D105 with the cheesy plastic CVT transmission. It's very annoying (to me anyway) to have to stop and shift from forward to reverse.
None of my hydro's are noisy.

Reactions: FrankIII

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, the hydro is getting all the best parts off the stick. Job #1 jump the stupid seat switch, done. It It seems to turn left sharper than right. Steering is full engaged both ways, pins both hit the axle. Is the toe setting 1/4" wider in front of tires than back when straight ahead?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not unusual for a hyd. system to make noise when deadheaded. Much like power steering on a car when the wheel is turned to lock. And some of the mower transaxles have noisy differential gears at low speed high load. These things are build to a price point afterall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts