Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. The hydrostatic transmission on my craftsman YT 4000 is not working as it should. When I push all the way down on the pedal it may start out as fast as normal but then slows down to a crawl. After a bit it may speed up but then slows down again.

The drive belt is original but looks in good condition. I dumped the tranny oil and replaced it with synthetic 20-50 oil. I purged tranny per the instructions I have. That didn’t make a difference. There is no external oil filter.
Before I take it to a professional I thought I’d check to see if others might help diagnose the problem.
Mower is approximate from 2011. Model number is 917.288562. Tranny is a Tuff Torq 46k.

Any help appreciated. Arron

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was going to say that your oil probably needs changing, but I see you already did that. I have a Murray with a Peerless hydro, and it would gradaually slow down as it ran. I changed out the oil for fresh Amsoil synthetic with a little dose of Lucas hydraulic oil booster according to the advice of a friend, put the tranny back in but did not install the wheels, started up the engine, ran it 5 minutes forward, 5 minutes reverse, put on the wheels, worked great. This was 20W-50 as I recall. Not sure if all oil like this is equal.
Sorry that did not work for you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You said drive belt is original but looks to be in good shape. The drive beltwill still be worn and likely slipping. It may be streched causing a slip. My mothers craftsman was doung the same but I replaced the drive belt and it rides like new. Her drive belt looked to be in good shape but was slipping.

·
Super Moderator
55,662 Posts
Got one here to put a new belt on. Has the infamous K46 transaxle.Hope that fixes it!

Reactions: FrankIII

·
667 Posts
Hi. The hydrostatic transmission on my craftsman YT 4000 is not working as it should. When I push all the way down on the pedal it may start out as fast as normal but then slows down to a crawl. After a bit it may speed up but then slows down again.

The drive belt is original but looks in good condition. I dumped the tranny oil and replaced it with synthetic 20-50 oil. I purged tranny per the instructions I have. That didn’t make a difference. There is no external oil filter.
Before I take it to a professional I thought I’d check to see if others might help diagnose the problem.
Mower is approximate from 2011. Model number is 917.288562. Tranny is a Tuff Torq 46k.

Any help appreciated. Arron
1 20 50 oil
2 check external pullies to see if they are loose on shaft.
3 new belt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts