Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the filter and fluid in my Snapper 1650 and used type F ATF. now it seems to be a little down on power. Is this the correct fluid to use? If not, could it be causing the lack of power?

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Can still get Type F? Thought newer types took over now. F is one of thinnest available when used, maybe should be other. Some tractors take Dexron, a GM product, and others just take motor oils. Check a manual as noted. Type F seems out of date by the time this tractor was made?? Even in some cases, the Hy-Tran fluids used in most modern tractors, bought at Farm stores is maybe a better bet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you change the filter at the same time? If not I would swap it out to start. Here is a link to a site with specs on filters: https://sites.google.com/site/mac102004/air-oil-filter-guide/massey-ferguson-filters

As for which fluid to use, I've found two that are specifically compatible in replacement of the M-1110 fluid which is listed as spec for the Snapper/Massey 1650:

Amsoil Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/ Transmission Oil

SynGard™ Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic

I just got my 1650 a little while ago, and the fluid is on order from Oilmart in Winnipeg, MB. I went with the Amsoil Hydraulic Transmission Oil and will be putting it in shortly. The filter I ordered from NAPA in Winnipeg, P/N 1410.

·
4,473 Posts
Any good quality Tractor /Hydraulic fluid that meet J20A specs is fine.

Here is some more info on the filters.

Reactions: cchap45 and Cvans

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone! I did change the filter and I'll change it again when I swap out fluids.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,407 Posts
You can also use 30wt motor oil in hot weather conditions and or heavy duty use.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two 1650's, the one that i just changed fluid in seems considerably slower and less powerful than the tractor with old fluid in it. Is that because of the type A transmission fluid I used? or is the pump just weaker (worn)?

·
4,473 Posts
Were do we find the type F today?

Maybe Dextron IV?

Type F was made for transmissions with Brass in them. Ford Automatic Transmissions in the early 50s thru the 70s.

As does our newer Tractors. Tractor/Hydraulic fluid will play well with the brass plates in our hydros.

I use it in all my Sundstrand and Eaton Hydros with great results. When we get a chance we will be looking at the rear axle on the 4855 because of some lack of power at the Mackville pull. Will fill you in when we get inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts