Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the belts tightened up for the hydro drive and noticed the engine was surging which it never did before. I had to have the choke part way out to help clear it up but then you could tell it was too much gas at times.

I lifted the hood and was going to adjust the carb and it didn't really make a difference. I was looking around and noticed the see through fuel filter was less then half full which is in line directly after the fuel pump. Unless there is a clog in the bottom of the fuel tank I am guessing the fuel pump is shot.
 

·
Electric Tractors
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Pull the gas line off the fuel pump that comes from the tank, hold it down low and see if gas comes out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DH1 said:
Pull the gas line off the fuel pump that comes from the tank, hold it down low and see if gas comes out.
I didn't even think of doing that as a quick check, thanks Doug.

I am kind of hoping it is just crap in the tank. What is weird is I pulled the tractor out after adjusting the belts and then drove around a little while to test it out then parked it. I went out to move it and it didn't want to start, I tried choking it and it didn't matter. So I pulled the cap off the tank thinking maybe the vent was clogged and put the cap back on and it fired right up. I looked at the cap later to see if the vent was clogged and it wasn't. You could see right through it. My cap/guage needs replaces as the lens is missing and there is no lettering anymore, just rust.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
428 Posts
If you put your finger over the outlet hose, you should be able to tell if there is some pressure in the line or not. This works best after knowing that the tank outlet is not clogged.
 

·
Electric Tractors
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
NUTNDUN said:
I am kind of hoping it is just crap in the tank. What is weird is I pulled the tractor out after adjusting the belts and then drove around a little while to test it out then parked it. I went out to move it and it didn't want to start, I tried choking it and it didn't matter. So I pulled the cap off the tank thinking maybe the vent was clogged and put the cap back on and it fired right up. I looked at the cap later to see if the vent was clogged and it wasn't. You could see right through it. My cap/guage needs replaces as the lens is missing and there is no lettering anymore, just rust.
My 3wheeler Ransome had a gauge in the cap that fell apart inside the tank and caused problems with the fuel flow from the tank.
Took me a while to figure that one out.
 

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
Joined
·
32,409 Posts
If the fuel flow checks out, then likely crud in the carb blocking the main jet. These Onan carbs are bad about this surging due to any tiny amount of crud in the carb. I use an inline filter too, but once a year or so I have to do a carb cleanout. One time the carb was full of a jelly like substance....& I mean full! They say the ethanol causes the jelly substance to form over longer periods of non use. My 2055 is surging again, so time for a carb clean again. This makes 2x this year. Funny thing is I've never had a Kohler carb do this like the Onans do.
 

·
Electric Tractors
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
My neighbors Wheel Horse has a 16hp Onan on it and I found the same thing with the carb, not the jelly stuff but just seems to need to be really clean to work right.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips guys and I will try and dig into it tomorrow. The carb may be the culprit considering the previous owner just let the tractor sit around outside for a long time. He supposedly took it to a dealer to get it running again so we will find out. I have a feeling it is going to end up turning into the next one to be restored because I know how I am. After I get so many pieces taken off I will just say screw it and tear it down completely.
 

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
Joined
·
32,409 Posts
NUTNDUN said:
I have a feeling it is going to end up turning into the next one to be restored because I know how I am. After I get so many pieces taken off I will just say screw it and tear it down completely.
George, being that's the way you are.....would you please come down to my place & take a couple parts off a few of my tractors? :bigrofl:
 

·
Electric Tractors
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
olcowhand said:
George, being that's the way you are.....would you please come down to my place & take a couple parts off a few of my tractors? :bigrofl:
:ditto:
 

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
Joined
·
32,409 Posts
Getting into my 2055's carb today to stop the darned surging...again. Just popped the top, but everything is hot still, so will pull the float out after lunch to see how much crud is in there.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
428 Posts
Yeah, ever lil bit of crud can mess with these Onans. My cck on the generator started doin that, and the bottom of the bowl was full of crap. Once i got that flushed it ran better, and i could try and find its generating issues.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
olcowhand said:
George, being that's the way you are.....would you please come down to my place & take a couple parts off a few of my tractors? :bigrofl:
If things would slow down I probably would LOL. Right away you wanna use me :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't had a chance yet to dig into the carb. Hopefully one day this week yet. The tractor does seem to be doing better now since I tightened the belts. I might drain the 10w-30 out of the rear and put hydro oil in since it is thinner and wasn't the problem.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top