Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Tractorholic
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no intention of doing it but it happened tonite. I went and tore the 12 down to its basic components so it can get its new paint applied. I really had no intention initially to even paint this tractor but when I get involved with a project I somehow end up going farther than I expect too. Some of the rust spots on the frame were too much to ignore and it would have been an ugly paint job when it was done. I am not going to make it a show piece or anything like that but it is getting a proper cleaning and then it will get put back together as I get paint put on it. Here's where I am as of tonite along with a few pics of my blower I bought for it. Hopefully I get it done in time to use it for snow duty this season.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Automotive tire Wood Wheel Bumper Tool
Wood Flooring Gas Auto part Cylinder

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
2,075 Posts
You certainly don't waste any time. I like your thinking about doing the job right. That is usually how my son does his projects. Thanks for the pics and please keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I hear you. I have the same problem. It's hard to leave rust on something that you plan on using and keeping for a long time. Happened to me with my 314. I ended up doing way more disassembly and sanding/painting then I intended or needed to do. I feel much better about the end results though!

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Hope to see some "finished" pics soon.:D

·
Fun With Horsepower
1,280 Posts
I'm a little ways behind you but the pics of the hydro and frame side view helps me know where I have to go once I test the hydro. Which brings up a dumb question I have to answer, so here goes. What is the proper engine shaft rotation-? I'm pretty sure-not 100% though--that its CW at the shaft. Since I've got to use an electric motor for the test, I'd better get it right.----Thx,LeeB

·
14 Posts
Toolpartzman said:
I'm a little ways behind you but the pics of the hydro and frame side view helps me know where I have to go once I test the hydro. Which brings up a dumb question I have to answer, so here goes. What is the proper engine shaft rotation-? I'm pretty sure-not 100% though--that its CW at the shaft. Since I've got to use an electric motor for the test, I'd better get it right.----Thx,LeeB
Clockwise looking at the flywheel.

·
Fun With Horsepower
1,280 Posts
Thanks greggn. Thus far its a tie --1 vote CW, 1 vote CCW. I;m certain,if I turn it backwards, that pump won't like it
:confuse:

·
Fun With Horsepower
1,280 Posts
OK OK , my mind is going---CW @ the flywheel is CCW at the shaft. So thats 2 votes for CCW at the shaft.------a mind is a terrible thing to waste---

·
Fun With Horsepower
1,280 Posts
IHCubGuy said:
I had no intention of doing it but it happened tonite. I went and tore the 12 down to its basic components so it can get its new paint applied. I really had no intention initially to even paint this tractor but when I get involved with a project I somehow end up going farther than I expect too. Some of the rust spots on the frame were too much to ignore and it would have been an ugly paint job when it was done. I am not going to make it a show piece or anything like that but it is getting a proper cleaning and then it will get put back together as I get paint put on it. Here's where I am as of tonite along with a few pics of my blower I bought for it. Hopefully I get it done in time to use it for snow duty this season.

View attachment 26141
View attachment 26143
View attachment 26140
View attachment 26142
The more I study your pics, the more I think thats not a bad idea. when you tested your hydro was it still on the frame? Might be just as easy for me to control it if I remove to the bench.-----LeeB

·
Super Moderator
54,348 Posts
The direction of rotation is relative to the direction you are looking at it from. Goes one way looking from the front of tractor back, other when you are behind looking forward. Hope this cleared things up.:bigrofl:

·
Fun With Horsepower
1,280 Posts
KennyP said:
The direction of rotation is relative to the direction you are looking at it from. Goes one way looking from the front of tractor back, other when you are behind looking forward. Hope this cleared things up.:bigrofl:
Oh yeah, its clear now. It explains why the further forward I go the behinder I get, and I
could've been right all along, but looking from my other left.:wallbanging::bigrofl:

·
Super Moderator
54,348 Posts
Thought that would clear up the whole rotation problem.:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

·
Fun With Horsepower
1,280 Posts
MH81 said:
And for the love of Pete, don't involve a mirror...

Thanks, I needed the smirk. :thumbs:
Yes it's finally clear except if neither CW nor CCW are present, then would that be a
ZERO TURN ????????:bigrofl::D

·
Tractorholic
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Toolpartzman said:
The more I study your pics, the more I think thats not a bad idea. when you tested your hydro was it still on the frame? Might be just as easy for me to control it if I remove to the bench.-----LeeB
It was still in the frame, I took my troy bilt tiller and stretched a belt from its engine to the pulley on the tractors engine and turned over the hydro that way and then just worked the hydro handle. Just pull the plug outta the tractor engine first.

Sorry for posting the thread and not being back on since thursday guys. I've been in the middle of a Verizon outage since friday morning with no internet or landline service till this afternoon. Thanks for all the encouragement and compliments. I stripped all the little brackets and other things off the frame(if it could be unbolted it was). As of tonite I have all the frame pieces cleaned and each one primed. I am going to start on cleaning the tinwork tomorrow nite and hopefully by the weekend I can take everything to the farm to the shop where I plan to paint. I can handle taking pieces one at a time out of my basement door and priming them and then bringing them back in and hanging them, but I don't paint in the basement as it draws thru the house and stinks it up. Our farm shop is heated and insulated so its the perfect place to paint.

·
Fun With Horsepower
1,280 Posts
IHCubGuy said:
It was still in the frame, I took my troy bilt tiller and stretched a belt from its engine to the pulley on the tractors engine and turned over the hydro that way and then just worked the hydro handle. Just pull the plug outta the tractor engine first.

Sorry for posting the thread and not being back on since thursday guys. I've been in the middle of a Verizon outage since friday morning with no internet or landline service till this afternoon. Thanks for all the encouragement and compliments. I stripped all the little brackets and other things off the frame(if it could be unbolted it was). As of tonite I have all the frame pieces cleaned and each one primed. I am going to start on cleaning the tinwork tomorrow nite and hopefully by the weekend I can take everything to the farm to the shop where I plan to paint. I can handle taking pieces one at a time out of my basement door and priming them and then bringing them back in and hanging them, but I don't paint in the basement as it draws thru the house and stinks it up. Our farm shop is heated and insulated so its the perfect place to paint.
I'm forging along too. Seeing your progress helped me to get at it. I've cleaned lots of the tin in an e- tank but ran out of primer Sun, so some will need another bath. I soaked the large fender/seat base assembly in a 55 gal barrel with a 36 VDC charger driving the voltage and it came out virtually perfect, even in the corners of the storage area below the seat. I was dumb-founded.--------LeeB:madhop:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts