Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!
4,461 Posts
Hi guys,

a fellow here in germany has problems with a damaged ignition coil for a JD 140, serialnumber lower 22,400 - as seen in the pics here

Purple Textile Pink Violet Magenta
Font Material property Parallel Paper Circle

These coils are no longer in stock. Does anyone know an alternative coil for use in a JD140? Does anyone can tell me the technical data of this coil, so maybe I can find an alternative here in Germany or Europe.

Thanks for your efforts

Need to edit, because I forgot the pics

Attachments

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
I was gonna mention ebay myself....tons and tons of parts on there especially for JD's.....people are pretty fair in price if you search.

Reactions: jd.rasentrac

·
4,461 Posts
Thank you guys for fast reply

Engine must be Kohler 301 - but I don't know exactly, the owner is living 300 miles away from me - because of the sn 015816. But the coil I can get in internet is this one Camera lens Camera accessory Automotive lighting Cameras & optics Lens
which doesn't look like the original Purple Textile Pink Violet Magenta
as you can see. That the one you'll find in JDPC for the 140 from sn 10001 up to 22400 Font Material property Parallel Art Paper

And so I can't believe, that this Camera lens Camera accessory Automotive lighting Cameras & optics Lens
fits this Purple Textile Pink Violet Magenta
(electrical coil, former part# AM32075 - which isn't in JD stock any longer...)

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
8,429 Posts
Glad to hear you got the coil you need even if it doesn't look the same , maybe your friend will find one someday if he's looking for the " factory " look , Al

Reactions: jd.rasentrac

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
They are two different types of ignition. The first is a magneto. It produces its own spark. The second is a coil. It needs electricity put to it to create a spark. Does the engine have points? if it does, there is a way to use the coil with the points. We need ACHomesteader
to explain how.

·
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The coil you have is for an electronic ignition. The one you show that you found will not work. This link should help you.

http://gardentractor...om/ignition.htm
Thanx for the link - i'll try to do my best to translate and inform the guy, btw, he's called Michael..

When I saw the photo of the coil I knew, that is was for electronic ignition. And as written in # here, JD hasn't it any longer in stock.

Normally you'll find technical informations printed on the coil - white on black. Michael said, that he doesn't find such infos on his part. And I couldn't find any further information in the Deere online service gates. So if there are technical infos on the wrap of such a coil for the JD140 then it would be nice to upload a photo here.
Maybe we will find an alternative coil, from BOSCH or HELLA or any other brand, or the whole ignition must be altered - or Michael needs an other engine.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Yes, that is a solid state ignition on that 140. There are no points, and not even drilled/tapped for points most likely, so no converting it if it isn't. I had a Wheel Horse GT14 with solid state ignition many years back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.