Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that it was bought new by the original owner in 1964, and he died in 1968. The tractor supposedly sat till the current owner bought it 12 or 16 years ago. He says that he has maybe put 5 hours on it.

Here are some pictures. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't want to buy it and find out it needs major engine work, etc. Does it look like it could be a low hour machine? I can't tell if someone has painted over some rust on the blade.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Low hours I might believe but not sure about 5 hours. Lots of little cosmetic things showing for me to buy the 5 hours but still looks very good. From the picture the blade sure looks repainted.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I'm on my phone right now but what I can see from here I would say go wake them up & buy it. Looks clean. From your own experience with MF you know it has a lot of good things going for you. I would say the inside of the hood is just moisture. Keep us up dated. Your making me nervous again...remember your 14 how long it took you to buy it.

Reactions: Gabriel

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Why are you considering? Why aren't you driving to get it! :deadhorse:

That is a beautiful original looking tractor. Good looking original tractors are getting scarce.

I don't but the five hour gag. I put more than five hours a year on mine just simply moving my tractors in and out of the shop once a month or so. If he only put five hours on it in 16 years, he has more money than sense. Just saying.

As far as engine work goes, it is a Tecumseh HH100 cast iron engine. It will run forever as long as the oil stays in the right place. Did it smoke when you ran it? Does it hesitate when you ramp the throttle wide open from idle?

Go get it and then let me know how the tests go. :rolling:

Ben W.

·
the homeless tractor hoarder
5,248 Posts
Very nice machine! :thumbs:

The first year of that style was '66 so no way was it bought new in 64 but thats a very minor detail. Hard to remember exact dates that long ago. Heck, I'm a 1970 model myself......

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I'd buy that if they are not asking $$$$ for it. The moisture on the hood looks like maybe oil got on there or soot from the exhaust if it was running rich, like on choke. Looks low hours to me, 5 hrs or 150 it's still in better shape then any I've seen.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If it is not original than whoever has it did an amazing job of cleaning it!!!!! I don't even see any dirt or grime around the carb where you would normally see it, even after 10 hour of use dirt will build up there and be a tell tale sign. I agree that the blade has definitely been repainted, but otherwise I would say very nice machine, better than anything I have here. I know this is against the rule but how much $$$$$ That would be the deciding factor for me. some people think these old gt's in good cond are solid gold. Good luck and keep us posted

Pete

·
Summer.
4,536 Posts
Gabriel,

Im with the guys on this one too, looks to be in good shape, so long as it's not crazy $$$ i think you would really enjoy it, the MF's are very good tractors.

·
Super Moderator
54,469 Posts
Good looking tractor! I think the 5 hrs. number is all the current owner says he put on it. I'd buy it if the price is right!

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Like said in previous posts the year isn't right.It looks like it's in very good condition.The hrs I'm not sure about.The seat is not original for that era tractor.Why the seat was changed who knows.If it runs good and the price is right buy it.

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Way Prettier than anything I usually buy. If price is right, I would have to have it if I wanted one. I didn have a 12, but was ratty when I got it, and Pretty again when it left here. I never did get to drive it much when finished. I never had an automatic, would like to try one of those maybe some day, mine was Vriable speed.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Low hours I might believe but not sure about 5 hours. Lots of little cosmetic things showing for me to buy the 5 hours but still looks very good. From the picture the blade sure looks repainted.
The current owner says he's probably put 5 hours (he said it was nice for putting hay wagons away) on it since he bought it 12 or 16 years ago. I too think that the blade has been painted, at least on the front.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I'm on my phone right now but what I can see from here I would say go wake them up & buy it. Looks clean. From your own experience with MF you know it has a lot of good things going for you. I would say the inside of the hood is just moisture. Keep us up dated. Your making me nervous again...remember your 14 how long it took you to buy it.
I hope to go look at it Wednesday. I'm going to call him tomorrow morning. I would have gone sooner, but have been busy this past week.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why are you considering? Why aren't you driving to get it! :deadhorse:

That is a beautiful original looking tractor. Good looking original tractors are getting scarce.

I don't but the five hour gag. I put more than five hours a year on mine just simply moving my tractors in and out of the shop once a month or so. If he only put five hours on it in 16 years, he has more money than sense. Just saying.

As far as engine work goes, it is a Tecumseh HH100 cast iron engine. It will run forever as long as the oil stays in the right place. Did it smoke when you ran it? Does it hesitate when you ramp the throttle wide open from idle?

Go get it and then let me know how the tests go. :rolling:

Ben W.
Thanks, I'll try your tests!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I'd buy that if they are not asking $$$$ for it. The moisture on the hood looks like maybe oil got on there or soot from the exhaust if it was running rich, like on choke. Looks low hours to me, 5 hrs or 150 it's still in better shape then any I've seen.
If it is not original than whoever has it did an amazing job of cleaning it!!!!! I don't even see any dirt or grime around the carb where you would normally see it, even after 10 hour of use dirt will build up there and be a tell tale sign. I agree that the blade has definitely been repainted, but otherwise I would say very nice machine, better than anything I have here. I know this is against the rule but how much $$$$$ That would be the deciding factor for me. some people think these old gt's in good cond are solid gold. Good luck and keep us posted

Pete
He originally wanted $1000 for it (it came with a lawn roller, spreader, sweeper). I called him and he said he would only come down to $800 for just the tractor and blade. I thought that seemed a bit high, so I asked to see some pictures. I wanted to see if it really looked as good as he says it is. It looked overall very nice, but not nice enough to give $800. If I really knew it had VERY FEW ours, I might have paid that for it. I offered him $500, but he didn't want to go that low (he's trying to raise money so he won't loose his farm, and, someone else said that they would give him $1000, and that was without even looking at the tractor). I told him to keep me in mind. He called me last Tuesday and said that he couldn't reach the other person and would take my $500 offer (I think he's also pressed to raise the money he needs).

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I can't see the tractor in person, but I would be tempted if it is as good as the pictures look for $500.

Ben W.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I can't see the tractor in person, but I would be tempted if it is as good as the pictures look for $500.

Ben W.
I hope it's as good as he says, and how it looks. We'll find out this week. Thankfully I'll be able to see it in person.

I so would like to find a Massey that's in working condition. Hopefully this will be the right one.

If I buy it, I will probably sell the blade. I really would like to find a mower deck for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts