Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a GT19. and recently got it running, I have a bolens tiller and would like to use it. I know i will have to convert its attachment to a cat 0 3pth. That doesn't bother me much. my real question is, can i buy a drive shaft that will convert the different splines? I would like to make this work mainly to budget constraints. Any ideas? thanks in advance.

as a side note. does a kt19 normally idle that low? good lord that sounds sexy!

·
Super Moderator
55,278 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
"given" a GT 19 grrrr..... I haven't had any deals like that in I can't tell ya how long.

and it isn't some worn out box store piece of junk either.... can we say "you suck" on here, like they do over on garage Journal when someone gets a screaming deal?

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
That is a common project in the Hot Rod world. If you have ends that fit both sets of splines, it is no big thing to put a shaft between them. Make sure the UJoints are lined up dead center so they balance each other. It is best done in a lathe so get everything centered.
There are driveline shops in every major city that specialize in this job.
My dad built a drive shaft for my 51 Desoto when I put a 59 plymoth motor in it. He took a big piece of angle iron and laid the two pieces of shaft in it to line it up.

·
5,517 Posts
A farm equipment store might have all the parts for a driveshaft. A local hardware store that caters to the farming community stocks parts to build any kind of pto shaft. A place like that would be able to set you up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it turns out it will not work. the bolens tiller will spin either way, however you can not reverse the tines. I am also trying to find other 3 point implements that will work on the GT's. any ideas?

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I dunno. You find out you let me know as I have 3 of those machines and I can find attachments/implements to fit "everything" but Ariens.... Saw a Bolens tiller at an auction earlier this year and also had a buddy call me and ask if I had use for a Bolens Tiller (same one from the auction? I dunno)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
the tiller on the Ariens actually is run by a double belt off of a pulley that goes onto that splined shaft. Where is the splined shaft in relation to the one on the tractor? If it is lower then you might be able to extend the shaft on the tiller and add a pulley and figure out a belt? I'd have to see the tiller in question to see if anything could be done to mate the 2. I do know that Ariens did offer a 3 point at one time, when you can find one for sale, people think they are made of gold. I have heard there is one made for some model of Kubota that fits right onto an Ariens like yours and it was only $60 the last that I knew.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.