Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Looks like you are all set - hope that you don't have to use it for a few months yet.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have used the PK and snowblower 3 times and 2 times have had trouble with the blower digging in to the grass/sod ( ground is not frozen yet) first time it happened it caught me off guard and it broke the lift cable connection and the drive belt. Repaired the lift connection and also found that the skid shoes had moved up letting the blower scrapper blade to low got those set and it working pretty good stlll have to watch it as when I get on all grass the skid shoes sink in some and the cutter digs in on flat hard surface its working just great

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Have used the PK and snowblower 3 times and 2 times have had trouble with the blower digging in to the grass/sod ( ground is not frozen yet) first time it happened it caught me off guard and it broke the lift cable connection and the drive belt. Repaired the lift connection and also found that the skid shoes had moved up letting the blower scrapper blade to low got those set and it working pretty good stlll have to watch it as when I get on all grass the skid shoes sink in some and the cutter digs in on flat hard surface its working just great
I don't have luxury either to use anything on blacktop or asphalt . I always make my skids bigger in size to help keep them floating better. Even my walk behinds. Tractor front mounts are always heavy as sin so this helps. I know too about keeping adjusting bolts tight. Had to go up in size on one as the blower was just too heavy for what it had as factory (5/16 - 3/8).

·
Tractorholic
2,210 Posts
Last week we got about 5 to 8 inches but our snow wasn't part of the lake effect snow that hit western NY' how about you have you gotten any snow
Glad you didnt get as much as NY. Here we only usually get very light snow if any. Its been unually cold this past week in the mid 20s at night which is too early to be this cold

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Last week we got about 5 to 8 inches but our snow wasn't part of the lake effect snow that hit western NY' how about you have you gotten any snow
Sounds like winter started early for you but at least you didn't get dumped on and sounds like you have the hiccups worked out. We got a bit of snow over the weekend (about 7") and have used the snowcaster twice. The first time it was right around freezing and the snow was the type that wanted to push ahead rather than feed into the auger - great for making snow people but not fun to try and blow. The second time went much better as it was about 26°F but the wind was really strong so was cooler being out in the open. I envy your cab but afraid if I made one I would have problems getting onto the Bolens with my arthritic joints. A town about 40 miles North of here got their share and ours too as they received about 25 - 30 inches over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like winter started early for you but at least you didn't get dumped on and sounds like you have the hiccups worked out. We got a bit of snow over the weekend (about 7") and have used the snowcaster twice. The first time it was right around freezing and the snow was the type that wanted to push ahead rather than feed into the auger - great for making snow people but not fun to try and blow. The second time went much better as it was about 26°F but the wind was really strong so was cooler being out in the open. I envy your cab but afraid if I made one I would have problems getting onto the Bolens with my arthritic joints. A town about 40 miles North of here got their share and ours too as they received about 25 - 30 inches over the weekend.
Hi Stew, yes the cab is a needed thing for me now days I just can't take the cold sifting snow on me anymore and I also know about arthritis, has it been cold there for about a week we've had terribley cold temps but today its starting to warm and it looks better for the next 10 days or so but that can change frast

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Has it been cold there for about a week we've had terribley cold temps but today its starting to warm and it looks better for the next 10 days or so but that can change frast
The temperature has been right around the freezing mark for about the last week and then dropped a bit below freezing over the weekend. Yesterday we were about 35°F for a high and 36° for today. If memory serves me correctly last year I snuck by without having to use the snow caster until late December but quite normal to have snow here by now. The worst winter I remember here was 1976-77 - snow came the second week of October and never left until middle of April. By January we had 6 foot banks along the highway and it was closed for about 4 days and one lane in spots for several days after. Like you say - the weather can change so quickly - we are supposed to be above freezing for highs for the next week or so - hoping the trend continues until spring arrives but I know that is wishful thinking as we live in what is often referred to as the snow belt next to Lake Huron. The town that got the dumping of snow has a groundhog named Willie that predicts the remaining winter weather the second day of February every year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts