Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tractorholic
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever retrofitted a 12 hp into a #7? Can it be done without chopping the hood all up?

·
the homeless tractor hoarder
5,248 Posts
Yes but you'll have to leave the hood off. :(

Sorry, i don't think the hood would fit without being cut. With trimming in a neat fashion I believe it could be made to look really good. Best of luck!

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
In addition to hood issues, I think you will have crankshaft height differences, and the larger engine may interfere with the fuel tank.

If you want more horsepower, try finding a hm 100 or equivalent. You get an extra 2 ponies and the package is exactly the same size. Northern tool had some at one point, and Small engine warehouse had them under the "Formula" name tag.

Here is where I used a Formula engine to repower my MF8 when the engine blew a rod:

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/8346-mf-8-repower/

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Has anyone ever retrofitted a 12 hp into a #7? Can it be done without chopping the hood all up?
i had two MF7s One was repowered to a 9 hp Tecumseh flat head... had to notch the hood and the left front hood support severely. I used that one and put a 10 hp OHV Tecumseh in it... had to modify the air cleaner intake, and exhaust, but it would have fit with less cutting.

Smitty

Reactions: larryd
1 - 4 of 4 Posts