Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Craftsman 856C & 857C
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I'm serious, is there? I know it maybe an irrelevant question but I've been wondering it, I ask because it seems to me like no John Deere garden tractors are that rare except maybe the patio series and 330 and 332. Even still the patios were made something like 3 years and it seems there are a few at shows when I watch YouTube videos.

I also ask because I stopped by a fellas house that has the little JD 70 here because my stepdad saw it one day and it is currently sitting as a yard ornament and I wanna potentially buy it and maybe save it. He says it's rare. I asked if he wanted to sell and how much and he says $150, so in my opinion it can't be that rare. I also looked it up and in the 2nd picture is the production numbers.....

Sooo, what y'all think, what JD garden tractor in your opinion is "rare"?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Plant
Font Parallel Screenshot Symmetry Document

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rarity isn't just production numbers. In some ways it ends up working the opposite way of what you would think. For example, I own a very nice 1989 Plymouth Voyager minivan. Hundreds of thousands were made. But made to do what? Haul children, or in other words underage, irresponsible humans with no regard for other people's property, the value of money, what it takes to buy the thing they're sitting in, etc etc. The net effect is almost all of the things are used up and GONE, and the ones still in existence might mostly be by being too lazy to have it hauled off. Very few are actually nice. A 1989 Trans Am GTA was made in FAR FAR fewer numbers, but sold as a leisure item to people who valued it. There are probably more Trans Am GTAs left today in excellent condition than there are 1989 minivans in excellent condition.

Lawn equipment would be more like the minivan. Most were used up, disposed of, and replaced. I would venture that in general the highest survival rate would be the ones that took the most user skill or knowledge to operate. So, something with multiple hydraulic remotes is something the average person would have no idea what to do with, but the people who know what it is value it. A regular lawnmower could be operated by anyone and also has to compete with every other lawnmower option to retain any value to the owner. So the cheapest, simplest to operate, regular old lawnmower might be the rarest one of all after 40-50 years because all 200,000 of the other ones were thrown away!

Just because it's rare doesn't mean you can prove it to somebody else, or that its worth something to YOU. Only pay what you're comfortable with.

·
Super Moderator
54,343 Posts
SO?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts