Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this one locally. I'm going to look at it this afternoon. The guy says the hydro pump is out, says it won't move forward or reverse. I have a 1650 that is very rough but runs and moves good, so I figured I might use it for parts for this one. He says the kohler runs good. He's asking $250 for it. Is this a fair price for this tractor in this condition? I've been looking around for a parts tractor locally for months, this is the first I've come across. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't realize he had it listed on eBay. I found it on Craigslist, he listed it last night. He says he thinks the deck is a 60" but he's not sure.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
I would say that's fair, being you have a way to make it go again.

3 pt, tires look good, straight tin with patina.

That deck looks rotted thru, but maybe some good parts there.

I see someone cut the dash away to get behind it. That seems to be standard

practice for those that can't take the time to remove the steering wheel. Shame.

That's the 4th one I've like that recently.

He says the pump is out. Does the lift cylinder work?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say that's fair, being you have a way to make it go again.
3 pt, tires look good, straight tin with patina.
That deck looks rotted thru, but maybe some good parts there.

I see someone cut the dash away to get behind it. That seems to be standard
practice for those that can't take the time to remove the steering wheel. Shame.
That's the 4th one I've like that recently.

He says the pump is out. Does the lift cylinder work?
Will, I didn't think to ask him if the lift cylinder worked. That's a good point you bring up. If the lift cylinder works then that would mean the hydro pump is good and maybe it has some other problem?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent point Rick, I'm not well educated in these tractors, I've just recently become a gt addict lol. I've opened my mouth on a few car deals though and ruined them by saying what was wrong with them. My minds made up, I'll be buying this one. Thanks for all the advice fellas!

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Excellent point Rick, I'm not well educated in these tractors, I've just recently become a gt addict lol. I've opened my mouth on a few car deals though and ruined them by saying what was wrong with them. My minds made up, I'll be buying this one. Thanks for all the advice fellas!
Good move.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, just got it home. The guy was a ford guy too. Made a deal on some mustang parts while I was there lol. I haven't had time to mess with it yet. It runs good, the engine is a dark blue color, I figured it may have been rebuilt at some point? The engine on my other 1650 is black.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's only a 48" deck, came with some other peices that look like a cultivator. I'll post pics of that tomorrow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I messed with this thing this morning. In looking at this one versus the one I allready have that my grandpa bought new in 1978, I'll be using this one for parts. As rough as mine is this one is rougher and incomplete but I should be able to make one nice tractor from the two. The splines on the hydro pump are stripped, and the ignition switch must be bad (it will only start after you stop cranking and let off the key) but it does run very well. I'm guessing this engine is a reman of some kind. The one on my other 1650 is painted black and I know it's never been replaced. It also has asset tags from the city of Hartsville TN all over, I suspect they put an engine in it at some point.

Attachments

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
. The splines on the hydro pump are stripped,
Is that why the previous owner said the pump was bad? He didn't realize it was stripped

and not turning?

Can you rig something up, to test run the hydro?

I think those shafts show up on ebay, for not to crazy of a price, every now and then.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm fairly sure that's why he said it was bad. The guy didn't seem too mechanically inclined. I could drill a hole through the shaft coupler and the stub shaft coming from the pump and put a bolt through it or a spring pin. I probably will do that, it would be nice for it to move under its own power until I can get around to tearing into my other one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did you ever get anywhere with this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts