Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently obtained some early tube frame attachments to compliment the model 189-01 900 tractor i got last year. I bought a 18449 38" center mount mower, a 18514 32" snow blower, a 18532 42" blade, and a 18610 25" tiller. The attachments are in good condition, having been stored inside. One thing that was peculiar to me was the tiller was painted in the green and yellow scheme that I thought was pre-tubeframe, similar to ride-a-matics. Is this unusual for tubeframe attachments to be painted yellow and green?

Tiller2.jpg Tiller3.jpg

Attachments

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
It's not unusual to see Bolens tractors and attachments repainted in non-factory or 'other brand' colors.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:31139][sharedmedia=core:attachments:29321][sharedmedia=core:attachments:29324][sharedmedia=core:attachments:29325]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:29319][sharedmedia=core:attachments:29320][sharedmedia=core:attachments:29326][sharedmedia=core:attachments:29327]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:29329]

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,274 Posts
The # 18610 tiller has a 22" tilling width.

The # 18616 tiller has a 25" tilling width.

I never saw either of these tillers come from the factory in green & yellow. ...All the tillers I saw were red.

·
DR. Bolens
19,077 Posts
I think someone repainted that, never seen a Green and Yellow Tubeframe tiller, Its definitely not a transition year either as the green was replaced by the Gold metallic colors in the early 60's.

The green dosent look Bolens to me

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I hate to say it, but that color combination looks like (horror of horrors) John Deere.

It's not unusual to see Bolens tractors and attachments repainted in non-factory or 'other brand' colors.
Which one did you say you wanted that HDT1000 to match?

Ben W.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
I hate to say it, but that color combination looks like (horror of horrors) John Deere.

Which one did you say you wanted that HDT1000 to match?

Ben W.
I'd rather see it painted Day-Glo Orange with Florescent Pink polka dots before I'd ever have that horrid green and yellow paint slathered all over it :D :D :D

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
OUCH! Don't be reading this all you Deere guys!

I agree with ya Buzzard!
Don't get me wrong, Green and Yellow looks perfectly fine on a John Deere tractor. It just looks like crap on any other brand.

Also, if for some unknown reason I ever came into possession of a John Deere, I damned sure wouldn't paint it in Bolens colors and put Bolens decals on it. Just out of respect for the brand.

Say, why is it that you always see Bolens tractors getting repainted into some dumb color?
I've often wondered the same. Maybe it's the styling that seems to lend itself to any number of creative paint schemes.

·
1,206 Posts
Never seen the small tiller painted green but they did have green decks so who knows.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I'd rather see it painted Day-Glo Orange with Florescent Pink polka dots before I'd ever have that horrid green and yellow paint slathered all over it :D :D :D
The pink polka dots is where it might get expensive. I'd have to use decals for that I'd imagine.

Ben W.

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,038 Posts
Maybe people paint the Bolens tractors and implements other colours because they do not want to take the time to match the colour, are colour blind or it is the first project of a father / mother - son / daughter and the younger person got to pick the colour - I can remember painting my first bicycle with my dad and it became a very dark blue with paint left over from his 29 Chev coupe he restored. While the paint job on this tractor does not look attractive to a Bolens fan it does look better than rust - tractors and implements can always be repainted but if they rust away due to neglect they become harder to restore and require as much or more work to clean up / weld in rusted sections than to strip the wrong paint colour off - just my thoughts.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts