Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In fact, it's down right ugly.

Nice day today. The sun is out, the birds are chirping, the temp is in the 50's...life is good right?

Since it was so nice I decided the work on the snowcaster and get it working just in case it snows again.

Well...it ain't gonna be fixed for a while, because it wasn't the shear pin.

It looks like a needle bearing disintegrated...and the gear case got wasted

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
Sorry to hear (and see) that! Do you need help searching for a new gear case? If so just get the #'s off it and I'll start searching. that is an Ouch for sure!

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Dunno...may be easier to just find another 18538 caster, and keep this one for parts.

Ther's a guy just up the road from me that has one posted on CL for 275.00. Don't know if it's an 18538 thjough. Guess I'll call him and find out.

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts
Sorry that happened to you!
I dont think I have ever seen a Bolens gear box do that before. It shouldnt be to hard to find parts to rebuild it, or if its in really bad shape they are pretty easy to come by.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Oh man,sorry to hear that news.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
I don't know if this will work on your Tractor, The model# looks a little different. But it's in Ohio, hope it's close to you as price seems good, buy it now even. http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c240922c2
That's only about 30 miles from me...but it's a square back 'caster, and they don't work as well as the round backs.

I have plenty of time, and a blade that I can use if it does snow again.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then again, maybe I can convince the "Minister of Finance" to let me get that EK10 with the blower that is up in MI

G

·
wow that just sucks. maybe if you got new bearings and a shim or some sort to keep the balanced and in place it would work again. worse comes to worse, buy the junkiest rotted out snowblower you can find with a good gearbox and make the best of it. goodluck with your situation.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
That's definitely ugly! Sorry about the misfortune. There are some good suggestions posted above, I hope that you find one agreeable and that the Minister of Finance is in a good mood!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts