Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
So, it is Christmas. I got up this morning, ohhhed and ahhhhed over all the children's toys, fixed Breakfast (Bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, and biscuits, if you must know) fed my family and my in-laws, showed off photos and videos, and helped my kids ride the used dirt bike my wife bought ME (for them) and was a pretty involved Dad. But around 3 this afternoon, everyone had either gone home or gone to their rooms to nap and I found some time for myself.

I have said it before, but to recap, I went to the dump to drop off some scrap and there was this forlorn looking Massey, with.....A HYDRO HANDLE! Well, that had to come home, so on the trailer it went. Over time, I put in a temporary engine, checked out the operation of the hydro and fixed the leak that showed up at the fwd/reverse control under the seat. The wife allowed me to buy a 420 cc Predator engine from Harbor Freight, with free replacement warranty, and that engine has been installed for a few months. However, I never finished aligning the pulley and the steering arm needed to be installed since I had finished rebuilding the front axle.

Special Thanks To "IamSherwood" for contributing the replacement steering arm after my original cracked at the keyway.

So with some free time, I went out and finished aligning the pulley on the new predator engine. Put oil in the crank case, gas in the tank, and the engine was ready to go. The original bushing on the fwd/rvs control had deep groves worn in it, so I replaced it with a hardened steel ball bearing. I carefully jacked up the rear on the tractor so there would be no surprises, and cranked the engine. A few pulls and the engine cranked up! The hydro needed some slight adjustment so that neutral was really neutral, then it was off the jack and around the yard! Instant forward, reverse, slow and fast all right at hand. I even eased up to a big maple tree in the yard and spun the wheels! Crawled down and back up over the curb, it's hard to finesse the 12G that way.

Here are some pics to enjoy. Lots of work to do, but IT LIVES!!!

Attachments

·
4,482 Posts
Don't you love it when it all come together.
You have a darn nice tractor there.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
That's why I love a hydro, such infinite control & you can ease around without jerky movement. Great to see another Massey saved!

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
I can't really tell anything about the power. It's rated as a 15 Hp by Harbor Freight. I CAN tell you that it is impossible to pull start unless you turn the ignition key into the "On" position
. The engine runs smoothly, wants a bit of choke to start, and so far hasn't shown any bad manners. It is easy enough to pull start once you turn the key on, though I wouldn't want to try it when it's real cold.

I WANT TO CLARIFY SOMETHING HERE: This engine DOES have elctric start! At this time I have not yet hooked up a battery nor rebuilt the wiring. The engine does have a pull start, so I decided to try that out once everything mechanical was assembled. Had the engine been balky, I probably would have found a way to jump start it. I have been waiting to drive this tractor since July and I'm not always a patient person.
END EDIT

I don't really have any attachments for it yet, though I could swap out the deck from my 12G. I also have a lead on another deck that I may yet obtain, budget permitting. I also have a plan to build a 3 point hitch, mountable either rear OR front, and finding a way to adapt my many Gravely attachments to the tractor. That would give me a 30 inch heavy brush hog, a snow blade, a tiller, and possibly the rotary plow
. Sickle bar mower mounted sideways would help trim bushes and what-not too. I also have a 40 inch deck I could mount on the rear that would make that Massey look just like it's full size. Now, whether my metal fabbing skills are up to the challenge, is another question.

Howard

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ducky said:
Don't you love it when it all come together.
You have a darn nice tractor there.
It IS a nice tractor. Either someone took care of it for a long time, or someone started a restore and didn't finish. What gets me a little now, if you notice there was a sleeve hitch on it at one time, the rock shaft is still there. It also had the attachement points for the helper springs, which means that at some point there was a tiller being used with this tractor. Since it was at a scrap yard, I fear that the tiller was already gone. And since I was travelling some distance from home when I found it, I can't easily go back and look.

·
Tractorholic
1,564 Posts
Good you got a little time to kick it off. Always makes you feel good to hear one fire up for the first time. Enjoy.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
tinner said:
Good you got a little time to kick it off. Always makes you feel good to hear one fire up for the first time. Enjoy.
:ditto:

·
Super Moderator
54,372 Posts
Howard, I'm happy to hear this great news. Yes, turning the key to 'on' does help, thankfully all mine have a starter on them. :rofl2:
Have fun with it and when you start fabbing things, post them up. Lots of good advice to be had in that department here.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's see if I can post some video links here:

Cranking the Massey - YouTube

The above video is of me cranking the engine. Note the ease and sucess granted by the simple device of turning on the key.

Massey hydro revived - YouTube

This video is a short walk around with me voiceing some high points. Also, son Ryan makes sure the tractor is good to go.

Howard

Reactions: DH1

·
Super Moderator
54,372 Posts
Thanks for sharing, cool vids. The first one was real good of the 'big kid with a new toy'. Your son sure was checking it out.

·
Village Idiot
1,274 Posts
Great job and perserverance in getting running at all!
For some reason the newer gx390s and clones like this predator want choke to start all the time - even warm. I've noticed that myself.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts

·
123 Posts
Looks good. Judging by the red wheels looks like a 68. Is this true?

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
I think it is a 68. I remember teasing my wife about bring back something that is only 44 years old, since she was also born in 1968. I'll try to post the serial number.

502904 appears to be the start of production in 1968, with roughly 4047 units built. With a serial number of 503566, that would put this unit around the end of the first quarter if assembly ran at a steady pace.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was looking at the serial numbers and wondering about the marketing role of the 12 vs the 10. It appears that the 12 would have been added as the top-of-the-line product when it came out in 1967, following the release of it's smaller sibling, the 10, in 1966. I suppose the main reason for upping the horsepower was to run the hydro. Anyway, with the extra power and the smooth and simple hydro, this unit must have been king of the hill until 1972, when the MF 14 made it's appearance. Watching the serial numbers, the MF10 must have been discontinued for several years, as it was not built in 72, 73, and 74. With the MF14 apparently the flagship of the line, the 12 must have been relegated to a slightly lower place, and was produced as a variable speed drive, where it remained until the lines ended in 1976. What was it about the introduction of the MF 16 in 1975 that caused Massey to reintroduce the MF 10? Was it that appealing to have such a close range of horsepower models?

Howard

·
66 Posts
All those clones need some choke... My Duromax GX Clone is the same, cold or hot it always wants at least half choke to pop her off, then it runs great after that. Its been that way since it came out of the box. Mine has electric start however, makes it easier to pop off!

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
HowardsMF155 said:
I was looking at the serial numbers and wondering about the marketing role of the 12 vs the 10. It appears that the 12 would have been added as the top-of-the-line product when it came out in 1967, following the release of it's smaller sibling, the 10, in 1966. I suppose the main reason for upping the horsepower was to run the hydro. Anyway, with the extra power and the smooth and simple hydro, this unit must have been king of the hill until 1972, when the MF 14 made it's appearance. Watching the serial numbers, the MF10 must have been discontinued for several years, as it was not built in 72, 73, and 74. With the MF14 apparently the flagship of the line, the 12 must have been relegated to a slightly lower place, and was produced as a variable speed drive, where it remained until the lines ended in 1976. What was it about the introduction of the MF 16 in 1975 that caused Massey to reintroduce the MF 10? Was it that appealing to have such a close range of horsepower models?

Howard
Good question Howard. Maybe someone found a box full of MF10 parts in the
corner, and they figured they might as well sell them.:smile1:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts