Garden Tractor Forums banner
1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I got the Broyhill M4100 3WD turf machine running this weekend. Took a bit of doing, but not particularly challenging.

The fuel line was leaking so I cut a length off and re-attached it. However, a section of it was at the point where it was a soft, gooey mess so I ended up replacing the entire line, and installed a shutoff valve on the tank side, along with a new filter.

Then I put in a new float needle valve and float in the carb. I had a repair manual for a Briggs Vanguard 16 hp, though not the right code. The parts "looked" right, so I checked out the prices---about $9.00 for the needle valve and $12 or so for the float--not too bad.

But, something told me I needed to find the part numbers for the engine code on the Broyhill. Problem was, the engine tag was on the side of the engine right against the frame and had the wiring alongside it as well. I could read some of of the numbers on the tag but just couldn't make out the model number... so, got out a mirror and a flashlight, and finally got it all... tried the numbers... no go....hmmmm.... maybe I wrote one down wrong.

Back to the machine for another look... a half hour later I learned I had misread one number... Finally!!! maybe I could get some parts for it.

The bad news came when I looked up the parts on line... the needle valve alone was between $22 and $25!!! The float was $18!!! Geeze, and they weren't even gold-plated!!

BTW, I discovered that the B&S Vanguard engines were developed by Briggs in conjunction with Daihatsu, which apparently is owned by Toyota. Briggs & Daihatsu also collaborated on a water-cooled diesel engine that was used in turf equipment, etc.

Anyway, on a hunch I checked with a local auto parts store--you know, the ones where they guys behind the counter have actually worked on cars, there's pictures of hotrods all around the room and old car parts, vintage oil cans, etc. as decor... They can get B&S parts generally the same day, if not overnight. And, though the prices were at the high end of online prices, I still came out ahead as I didn't have to pay freight.

So, got the kit, installed the needle valve---nope, not gold plated... oh well!!! put in the new float, primed the carb with a little gas and fired it up. On the second try it stayed running and smoothed right out.

So, now for the test ride. I'm used to putting the engine near top speed with hydrostatic drives so I did the same with this--found the little bugger is very sensitive on the pedal, plus the front wheel is VERY responsive to movement... Handle With Care!! It took a bit of doing, but I got the hang of it and drove it up and down the block... a heck of a lot of fun!!!

My oldest boy came over the following day, and I got a couple short videos of him driving it... Hope they'll upload, this is my first attempt...

Smitty

PS, well, I tried to upload the files, and when they were almost done I got an error message saying I can't upload MP4 files... guess I'll have to figure out how to convert it... anyway, more to come!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you got it running, Smitty! May have to upload that video to YouTube. I don't know exactly how all that works.

#3 ·
Youtube is like photobucket, have to join (free) then upload videos there, just takes longer for video to upload than picture only major difference. Copy youtube link add to thread here through regular link button.

Youtube fastest upload 3rd party video server i found but everybody's computer/isp different some people like other sites.

#4 ·
Youtube is like photobucket, have to join (free) then upload videos there, just takes longer for video to upload than picture only major difference. Copy youtube link add to thread here through regular link button.

Youtube fastest upload 3rd party video server i found but everybody's computer/isp different some people like other sites.
YouTube will imbed the video, so would be best to use.

#5 ·
Sounds like a successful round of repair work. It almost always pays to check multiple sources for parts pricing. I try to buy local if possible but one local place doesn't stock and then expects me to pay 3 times the price for carb parts and also wait 3 weeks. Surprisingly my local JD dealer is usually a good source for carb parts and only maybe 20% more than mail order. They can reliably get unstocked stuff in 3 business days which isn't too bad for out here on the east coast.

#6 ·
Okay, I finally had time to sit down and upload the videos to You Tube. They are very short because I was recording them with my cell phone... anyway, here's my entry into the world of film-making.

Smitty

Reactions: KennyP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.