Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting new points, condenser, and a spark plug the old 58 ride a matic fired up. After sitting for 30+ years I think it's pretty awesome. It's a kohler k 160 motor and after doing an assessment discovered it had a stuck exhaust valve that with some help with a punch and pb blaster soaking in after the weekend it became unstuck and then she was able to start. I can't wait to get this old girl out in the yard!

·
Super Moderator
54,013 Posts
That's great news. These old tractors are tough and can take a lot of abuse/lack of maintenance. I'll be watching for pics of it in action.

Reactions: antiquetractors

·
Tractorholic
1,555 Posts
Glad to hear you got it running. Something in your post makes me think you're excited!

Can't wait for more on this.

Reactions: antiquetractors

·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys have no idea how happy I was to hear this thing run. I paid $111 for it and everyone at the auction thought I was nuts including my family lol. I could see through the dirt and I think it's turning out to be a fine project. I was very lucky the guy turned off the fuel when he parked it. The gas tank on it is borrowed from one of my power ho's because there was about 1/2" of varnish in the original gas tank. I cleaned it but it still needs to soak a while longer before it's ready to be used. Luckily there isn't any rust but I have a gallon of evaporust on stand by lol.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Super Moderator
54,013 Posts
That is awesome. Thanks for the video. Oh, one other thing. You might want to invest in a front tire. That right one is a little bad, methinks.

·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL! The tires are in pretty rough shape but they are original. The right tire blew apart when I put air in it and since I didn't have a replacement I just used it because I was wanting to try it out. The tube has already popped lol.

KennyP said:
That is awesome. Thanks for the video. Oh, one other thing. You might want to invest in a front tire. That right one is a little bad, methinks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts