Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
55,394 Posts
:wave: Welcome to the forum! A few pics of your tractor would be nice to view. Check out the link in my signature for a video on uploading them.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have a couple from the closed side models, one for a Jake and one for a Ford already off. I will compare them to the 120( Ford version of the 1200 chief) I have. Post pics soon as I can.

·
JMC fan
325 Posts
The earlier (1966-1971) Jakes had a keyed, tapered steering shaft with a nut. I am not sure if any other brand used the same design. Over tightening the nut and/or any amount of rust makes them virtually impossible to remove without damage, even with a puller.

The later tube-frame Jake tractors had a Ross steering gear with a splined shaft like many other makes.

The steering wheels themselves were used on many makes. I am not sure of the company that supplied them but mostly mounting style are the only differences.

·
JMC fan
325 Posts
Having a difficult time removing the steering wheel. I don't want to damage anything
There is not much room between the wheel and the dash. If you can loosen the locking collar on the underside of the dash you will be able to slide the steering shaft up some to get more room to work.

A while back I asked a guy that restored many MMs and Whites for his advice on steering wheel removal. He said the best way he's found is to remove the entire dash and set it up in a hydraulic press to drive the shaft down. No other way about it, these are absolutely a pain. I've only seen one come loose without a fight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, definitely quite the undertaking here. I am wondering if I should just try to weld the outer steering wheel ring back to the cross bar that's bolted to the column. Then make some kind of wrap to cover up the bare metal.

Thanks for the posts, I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
How about a pic of the wheel? lets see how bad it is. Do a search in the restoration area of this site, many guys have fixed steering wheels with various methods, one of them might help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.