Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's a Garden tractor. And it's a bit Special.

It has around 470 hours on the meter and I've been trying to acquire this off of the fella for a few years. It's been sitting outside for approximately 5 years.

It's bought and paid for but I'm Currently arranging transportation for it. I should have it in 2 days.
Sorry no pictures yet but I'll upload a bunch when I get it home.

Any guesses to what model said tractor might be?

Not much to go by but I'll give ya 3 hints to start with. Will add another more hints if no one guesses correctly by tomorrow morning.

1st number in the model number is a 1
Stock Rear tire size is 23x10.50-12
It is Hydrostatic (with factory Hydraulic lift) They did not have an option for manual lift on this specific tractor.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
MF 16. Is my guess. After some thought, I think I’m wrong. MF 16’s didn’t have an hour meter.
So I’ll change my guess to a JD 322

Noel

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MF 16. Is my guess. After some thought, I think I’m wrong. MF 16’s didn’t have an hour meter.
So I’ll change my guess to a JD 322

Noel
It's a Cub Cadet hence why it's posted in the Cub forum. lol I'm still getting used to this form layout as well.

Bonus hint.
Tractor is Cub White and Cub Orange with a white hood and white grill shell.

·
Super Moderator
55,283 Posts
1250?

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something special? 23x 10.5-12 tires? White grill shell? Standard CC colors? Hour meter, may have been an option. Hydro lift only? I’m not positive about that either? I’m gonna say 169.

DING! DING! DING! We Have a Winner! (y) (y) It is 1 of the 4,005 that was produced in 1974.

It is a Cub Cadet 169 with 44C" deck and QA42? snow blower.

It's in sorta sad shape from sitting outside but it's complete and was running when parked. It has probibly $400 worth of 5 year old AG tires on it. Front and back. He thinks he parked it because it had a spindle making a horrible sound. The guy is usually drunk 24/7 but I caught him on a Sunday. He does not drink on Sundays.

Total investment? $250 including gas for the neighbor to haul it. I'm going up there today to see if I can get the front tires aired up. 1 is off of the bead and 1 is low. Gota take the deck off or it won't fit on the neighbors little trailer. Deck is only 44" but the chute sticks out another 5-6" and his trailer is only 48" wide between the fenders.

I'll take a pic of it if I don't forget to bring my old cell phone. Service is so spotty around here that most of us only have Home Phones but I have a cell phone that I use for the camera and it's loaded with music.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I was in a hurry to get up there and back and I forgot to grab my phone. Sorry no pics until tomorrow evening.

Got the tires aired up and the deck off. All 4 Tires still have the nipples on them. Deck is 100% solid but the center spindle appears to have a sheered woodruff key.

I think I'm going to leave the blower up there. It's bent up from being used in a gravel/dirt driveway and the gear box is broke. Auger spins but the pulley and input shaft do not spin. It's a converted narrow frame QA-42 blower. Don't have the storage space for it and even if I fix it up I'll probibly never use it.

The gas tank is NASTY on the inside. 1/2 tank of 5-6 year old 87 octane ethanol gas. It's still holding gas so I think I can save it. Lots of nasty brown crap all over the inside and 1/2 a tank full of some very very rank smelling gas. The smell darn near melted my nose hairs. 🤢🤢 I should have known better but I had to take a good whiff to see how bad it was lol.

She's a very solid and straight tractor. Still has most of it's paint on it but after it gets a full mechanical restoration and it proves to be reliable I'll shoot some new paint on it.

I happen to have a NOS Kohler/Carter #30 carb. Might as well use it on the 169. The original carb might clean up? I'll keep it as a spare if it will.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well here it is. Not horrible but it's going to need some work. I have the headlight panel and hour meter for it. He said he was trying to diagnose why it would not shut off with the key. He said he turned the gas off to get it shut off and it's still off. Oil is full and pretty darn clean. Gas tank looks ALOT better inside than I was thinking it would be. Stuck lens of the camera rite in the hole.

Gota run so I have to make this short.

Couple Pics for now. I have alot more pics that I'll upload when I get back.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Attachments

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok I'm back lol. It's always something. Had to make a run for drinking water up at the Spring. I use a 55 gallon plastic drum that I have to fill every couple months. Our old cast iron well casing is cracked about 20 foot down. I don't trust it enough to be drinking it especially since we live rite in the middle of a large Orchard that uses chemical insecticides. I know for a fact that it does get surface water in it because it gets a bit muddy looking when it rains hard. Price of drilling another well is way out of our budget unless he take a mortgage out on the house. House is 100% paid for though.

I wish Smell-A-Vision was a thing lol. I drained most of it out. It's not rusty but it has a significant amount of varnish in it above the fuel.

Eye Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Wood

Brown Liquid Fluid Amber Astronomical object

I THINK this is the original deck for the tractor. They usually have a model number on the tag, this one just says 44" Rotary Mower on it and a serial number ending in 169. Deck is solid but it does have 2 small thin spots that can easily be patched.

Rectangle Wood Road surface Grey Font

Plant Art Motor vehicle Wood Grass

Artifact Grass Art Groundcover Trunk

Rear fender pan is a little bent up but not as bad as some I've had. Rear tires are 6 ply Duro Nankang 23x10.50-12 AGs and the fronts are 4 ply Carlisle 16x6.50-8 AGs. All 4 tires still have the nipples on them but the Doro rear tires do have some light Dry Rot allready and they are only about 6 years old. Really like the look of those front tires.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber

Battery box and dash. Battery box was full of nuts. Most of them bounced out on the trip home. (Dirt and gravel road life lol) Wiring doesn't look horrible but it will need gone though. Switch is still in the Run position. It Might need a new switch?

Wood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply

Plant Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Bumper

I need to find a set of aluminum retainer rings that hold the headlights into the header panel or have a set made. I could have a set made out of steel. I know someone that has a CNC Water jet cutting table but I'm not sure what it would cost me to have a couple made out of something like 1/4" steel. My neighbor has a plasma cutter but he's still getting the hang of it. They would probibly come out Peanut shaped if he tried to make me 2 lol.

Ok that enough pics for now. I'm gona go stick my wirrly bird pressure washer nozzle in the tank and see if that works before I break out the chemicals.Love that nozzle but I don't use it much because it blows decals off of mowers and it can blow paint off if I hold it in 1 spot for to long.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It needs a good pressure washing then I'll tear into it.

It will not take much to get running. The fuel petcock was used to shut the tractor off the last time it was run. I'll probibly go ahead and throw a fresh set of points in it because I keep several sets in stock. I just counted them and I have 12 sets of OEM Kohler K series kohler points left in my parts stash.

I keep telling myself that "I have way to much junk" (parts) and then, days or months later I need some part out of my parts stash for something. lol

I just bought a nice parts bin with slide out drawers at the scrap yard for $5 the other day. It's super heavy and has ball bearings in the sliding drawers and it has plastic drawer inserts with adjustable compartments. I'll dig it out and snap a pic of it. I need to make room for it in my small shop. The drawers are large and they slide easier than the drawers in my "big-ish?" tool box does. Figured I could use it for parts and speciality bolts instead of using the separate bins and boxes for smaller parts that I use now.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nice score! I would love to have one of them someday. And it looks like yours has all the correct parts besides the air cleaner. I looked up your serial number, it was made in September of 74. All 149s had hydraulic lifts, but there were actually 169s made with manual lifts due to supply issues.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts