Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am found this site doing research on a garden tractor my father bought from his neighbor. It is a Snapper 1855, not sure of the year but it still has the Onan motor and according to him is running great after a little tinkering. New plugs, fuel line and carborator cleaning. It came with a plow, disk, mower deck and a snow (dozer) blade, there may be more but I am not sure what they are until he delivers it next month. He did tell me that there was not a tiller. Can anyone tell me if there are any tillers that will work with this tractor besides the MF 4850 or MF 4250. How hard are these to find? What could I expect to pay for the MF tiller?

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
BoxerMotor Welcome to GTTalk! I'm afraid that I can't help with your question, but there are a lot of folks on here who eat and breathe Massey. They'll be along soon enough with the answer you seek! In the meantime, we hope that you enjoy the forum. Thanks for signing up!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have enjoyed the last two nights reading all about the MF1855/Snapper 1855. I was very dissapointed this afternoon to learn that there was not a tiller included in the deal. Still sound like a lot of tractor for $400 so I am still very happy to get it. I hesitated to even post such a price here but he did buy several other items besides my Snapper.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
If you bought an 1855 for $400 you're the luckiest man that I know! Let alone all of those attachments! Wow, congrats on an awesome score!

·
4,482 Posts
Just a bit here> MF and Snapper attachment interchange in the 50 and 55 series. All have Cat 0 hitch and a 2000 rpm rear PTO as do most tractors of this size.
Other attachments can be added according to your fab skills. Most important is to look at the PTO and determine that it will be comparable with your tractor. Then you will have look at hitch and PTO drives on the potential attachment.

Welcome to GTTalk.............Ducky

Reactions: BoxerMotor

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Welcome to the site! You are in good hands here, this site has a bunch of devoted MF guys who will be able to help you! Myself, I am not one of those people.

·
Tractorholic
1,711 Posts
$400 for all of that! GREAT SCORE!!!! The Snapper/MF 1855 is a very heavy duty GT. Any 2000RPM tiller can be used on it as long as it has the rear PTO. The 1855 engine and drive train are the same as the 1655. Once you go to the single cylinder engines the drive train changes and about the only thing interchangeable will be the couplers and the pulleys. I think the model number break down is:

1st 2 digits = HP
3rd digit = 0 for gear drive, 5 for hydro
4th digit = 0 for single cylinder, 5 for twin cylinder

Limited parts are available from partstree.com and you massey dealer. Most parts I find are on ebay. Your hydro should be an eaton 11. The manuals for your tractor and hydro are here on GTTalk under our manual section.

And since nobody else has said it.

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
wow, what a deal on the 1855. I have been looking for one for a while. i can't wait to see some pictures. Congratulations..

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
BoxerMotor,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
BoxerMotor, welcome to GTTalk. Sounds like you got a really sweet deal.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
BoxerMotor, welcome and glad that you joined. I'm sure you are getting the impression that you got a good price and a good deal. Like the others and you, we all can't wait to see it

·
Tractorholic
1,564 Posts

BoxerMotor, that's a steal of a deal on an 1855, sure you didn't leave a 1 missing in front of the 4. I've been trying to beat a guy out of his 1855 for some time now to no avail but I'll keep on keeping on. You'll love the new tractor. I have a 1600 and 1650 both are single cylinder 16 HP Kohler engines, the 1600 is standard and the 1650 hydro_Oh, almost forgot, if you would like to double your money just drop me a line and I'll hit the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boxermotor,

Welcome to the site, Ive been here just a few weeks now and lots of info. pretty much anything you need to know. Just for comparison I just got my 1855 with the 54" deck, and 48" tiller for $1,800 and am happy as hell. for 400 bucks thats about the same as getting it for free for this size tractor.

Congrats!

Travis

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Boxer, a good Onan engine like that can go for more than you gave for the whole deal! If you could find a 4250 tiller, I think you would have to give at least $300. A 4850 could easily fetch $500. I can't really say if there are other make tillers that would work, but any with cat 0 3pt hitch & 2,000rpm shaft drive should work fine.

·
Tractorholic
1,711 Posts
I think some of the JD tillers that fit the old 3XX series will work. I am keeping my eyes open for a case hydraulic tiller. I am thinking of running the pump off the rear PTO.

·
1,087 Posts
I ended up paying $580.00 (CAD) for mine last year,but it was practaclly new! and I got the manual so that sealed the deal LOL

·
508 Posts
Good deal on that unit man. As tillers go the Honda tiller for the RT5000, 5013, and 5018 are category 0 3 point with 2000 rpm input shaft. That should be compatable. This helps me too as to what implements are compatible with my Honda 5518.

·
Tractorholic
178 Posts
boxermotor, don't listen to this group of jokers!
they are all laughing at your purchase! like somebody that says they like your shirt, then laughs to their friend behind your back about it!
you guys should be ashamed!!

you can save face and i'll even give you your $400 because i feel really sorry for you if you drop that pile of crud at my place. i hear they can fetch about that much for scrap

of course i'm joking and jealous
that is one hell of a good tractor for even double that price!
welcom to the forum!
this one IS the best!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts