Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a K3B Mitsubishi diesel engine in a ransomes bobcat zero turn mower.

I thought I had blown the head gasket as I found coolant in the oil.

I replaced said gasket, I filled the motor with cheap oil to use as a cleaner to get rid of a lot of the gunk from coolant,
Everything was fine, motor ran sweet (for about 10 mins then I switched it off), not a problem.

Left it for a few days, was going to do another cleaning run with cheap oil again and undid the sump plug,
Water ran out for a few seconds then the old cheap oil afterwards. radiaitor top tank was MT.

Left the plug out of the sump and started to refill the radiator tank, intending to take out the glow plugs to see which
cylinder was the problem and before I could finish topping up the radiator, water started flowing (not dripping) out the sump plug hole again.
In my experience, (not a mechanic but rebuilt many an engine in my life time) that is not a head gasket issue.

Anyone seen this type of thing before?

Anyone with any ideas are welcome to chip in.

Regards
Wayne

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Not knowing those motors but almost sounds like a cracked head or block if you're saying you changed the head gasket already.
Or some other o-ring , gasket that may have been over looked.
Do you have a radiator pressure checker ? You should be able isolate it down to what cylinder by taking out injectors out one at a time. Dropping the oil pan may show something too..

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sounds like there is a pretty good crack somewhere internal on the block. I'd still pull the glow plugs and see if there's any indication of it going into a cylinder and past the rings first. If yes then the crack is most likely somewhere in the head or cylinder walls. If not then it'd be to pull the pan and look in there to see where it's coming from.

Looking at pictures of rebuild kits for that engine it shows cylinder sleeves. A little hard to tell if they're wet or dry type though. If wet there's an o-ring at the bottom of each one to seal it to keep the coolant where it's supposed to be. If one of those is bad it would let water flow right past. If dry then it could've developed a crack behind the sleeve that would let water into the pan if the crack was big enough

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I have a vague memory of something put together with the head gasket upside down or backwards. Every thing lined up perfect except that one hole. Just a possibility. Sounds like it has to come apart again anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's all.

@4getgto, don't have pressure tester and strangely enough for a country town with a lot of diesel mechanics in town not one of them does head testing????
Testers aren't exactly cheap here in the land of OZ either.
The pan is the next thing to come off if the glow plugs don't tell me anything.

@diesel nut, if it is a crack its bloody huge, the water flowing out of the sump is like a tap has been turned on inside the motor, I actually took a video of it but I cant upload it for some reason.
Still haven't determined by paperwork/parts list what type of sleeve they are yet either, didn't take much notice while it was apart.
Yeh glow plugs and then pan are next on the list.

@secondtry, I took great care in looking at how the old gasket came off, however that doesn't mean it wasn't on the wrong way in the first place ;) as I have a sneaking suspicion the bloke I bought it from had the same issue and decided not to tackle it.

As much as I enjoy the challenge it may be just a trade in on a new machine if its going to take too much to get it right as I have a very large area that is very rapidly getting higher by the minute it seems, and a "boss" who isn't happy about the time I'm wasting on this "toy".

Back out to the shed to have another "one last look" ;)
Once again thanks for the reply's and keep em coming if anything new springs to mind.

Regards
Wayne

·
Registered
11 Posts
More alternative gasket sets. Better or even the best can be found. Also, joking aside. :confused: For this, control should be provided in the coils that are the source of the water. You can consult an expert about whether the electrical component is working properly. In my personal opinion, everything gets worse as we poke around, I'm sorry. :sleep:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Have also worked on Subaru engines with internal soft plugs. One of those failing will give those symptoms. When you first discovered coolant in the oil was the radiator empty.
Don

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Been surfing and found this.
NCW Tractor Parts, LLC can get most parts and seem to be pretty sharp on Mitsubishi engines in particular. If not listed on their website give them a call.
I know nothing about them but may be worth a try.
Also found reference to this not being a factory sleeved engine.
Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts