Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tractorholic
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know that I will be thrashed for asking this, but with seeing guys putting the china diesel in the MF 10& 12's I was wondering if anyone had tried to put a Kohler 181,241,or a 301 in one or if this would even work.
So let the thrashing, bashing, beating begin.LOL

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I don't think anyone would give you a hard time about it. I like Kohlers personally and parts are easier to come by. I don't know how easy it would be to get one in due to the starter / generator but should be able to be done because the early MF10's had the starter / generator setup on them.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
If you have the tools, almost any engine can be stuffed in there. I'll definitely NOT give you any grief over re-powering.....I do it a lot!

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Should be done easy enough... Just remember, those Kohlers had some odd oil pans that will not bolt to a flat frame. (Like the K301 in my John Deere has a oil pan with a sump.

Other than that, it should be a rather easy bolt in swap on a Massey because you have so much "play room".

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
mikebramel said:
The small blocks are a drop in fit
Small block Chevy??? :rofl2: Seriously though, any you mentioned could be made to fit. Aligning the engine to get the belts to work properly is the main thing. The rest like starter clearance & muffler can be worked out.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder just how much would need to be changed to make a little Perkins fit under there? Maybe a little hood stretch and a 90 degree gear box at the end...

I keep telling my dad that he needs to find a Perkins for his Power King 1614 and give me the Kohler to stick into my John Deere!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts