Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short the engine in my recently acquired Snapper 1650 let go. broke the rod and scarred the crank. upon inspection the bore is also out of round so it could use a bore and piston. Is it worth rebuilding or should I go the re-power route? I would like to at least keep it close to stock to keep the mule drive functioning. If i were to re-power any recommendations on a replacement?

·
1,333 Posts
Rebuild...in my humble opinion. The K301 in my Cub is a workhorse and would get a rebuild in a heartbeat if it failed.

Geno

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
See if the crank is savable and can the block just be bored oversize. If it can be rebuilt, do it. Those Kohler cast iron engines are great. I plan to rebuild several of mine this winter. There are inexpensive aftermarket kits on EPAY but you have to shop around. Good Luck, Rick

·
Another Classic Tractor
2,496 Posts
Rebuild, but spend a little more and get real Kohler parts.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The K341 is a great engine, and a real powerhouse. I would rebuild for sure! They sell both a .010, and .020 undersize rod for them, so unless the crank is really bad, it should clean up by .020 undersize. While using genuine Kohler parts is probably better, I have a K301 that I rebuilt a couple of years ago with a $110 kit from ebay, and its still going strong with many hours of mowing since then. So, I really can't knock the cheap kits, and it came with everything, including piston, rod, and valves. The same kit would have cost me over $500 from Kohler.

Matt

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Rebuild! Rebuild without question!

If you don't want to rebuild, sell the engine to me! :wave:

I can get you a good price on a rebuild kit aftermarket or NOS Kohler.

Ben W.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some good news last night, a buddy tracked down a recently rebuilt K341 for a great price. if all goes as planned I will pick up that engine to get up and running and rebuild the original when time permits. thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
And here when I saw that I was just gonna ask if I could have the original lol, as long as it's gonna get saved, that's all that matters.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to look at the rebuilt k341 last night and I found it has a one inch diameter output shaft compared to the 1.125 diameter that was in the snapper. Not too worried about that as i can change the bushings in the clutch to match the shaft. It looks like it has a different oil pan. Will the oil pans swap out? Any one know if I'm gong to run into any thing else? is the flywheel end of the shaft also going to be different? thanks for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts