Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kohler 321, I have replaced stater and v.regulator, both parts test good per repair manual trouble shooting guides. My question is shouldn't the engine continue to run when battery is disconnected,I'm using a booster box to start and when I turn it off the motor dies. Please Help!!!!

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
An engine with a magneto type ignition system, does not need a battery. When the key is "off" the system is grounded and when the key is "on" the system it is isolated. An engine with a coil type ignition system, needs the current from a battery to provide the spark. The "on" position of the key supplies 12 volts to the coil which then provides the spark. Check the engine manual in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

·
DR. Bolens
19,152 Posts
An engine with a magneto type ignition system, does not need a battery. When the key is "off" the system is grounded and when the key is "on" the system it is isolated. An engine with a coil type ignition system, needs the current from a battery to provide the spark. The "on" position of the key supplies 12 volts to the coil which then provides the spark. Check the engine manual in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick
:ditto:

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Check fuses, happened to me, checked a bunch of stuff and it end up being just the fuse. Noel.

Now, just a hint. When checking a fuse always use a meter. Those glass fuses can be broke at the end in side where you can't see, if it's blown or not. That's what was wrong when I checked the bunch of stuff , which included looking at the fuse, which was not blown. After scratching my head wondering what was wrong, I rechecked the fuse with a meter, it was bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
I would guess 20 amp, but I am not sure. Been awhile since I had that trouble. Noel.

Reactions: Jeff W.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.