Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
I'll kick this forum off with a pic of my Kubota G4200. Traded a Cub Cadet for it. Only had $196 in the Cub & the guy knew that. He wanted the Cub...so why should I stand in his way! We both came out happy...well, I was estatic!:yelclap: 2 cylinder diesel & runs like new....sips diesel. Deck is a replacement, only a little over a year old.

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, super deal. Foot hydro is smooth. Tires are all near new. Mows up a storm for just a 12hp engine. Seems to have as much power as at least a 14hp Kohler, maybe more. But then these diesels crank out the torque. Only negative is the exhaust. It exhausts out the grill & when really cranking in thick grass, the smoke comes right back in your face. I can live with that, but keeping my mind open for a re-routing.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I think you should put a stack on it. I love diesels. I drove truck for many years and was an owner operator for about 6 of those years and I grew up around them. So much power at such low rpm :D

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd have already slapped a stack on it, buty the hood has to hinge forward for engine access. I'd have to cut the hood sides out to do a stack, and I hate to do that really. The grill stays with hood as well, co can't do an exhaust drop either.

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chuck_050382 said:
Nice looking tractor. I like the push bumper on the front.
I hat to cut off about 5" of each end of the bumper. Found out quick that I couldn't come in close with a turn when mowing close to buildings, etc. The bumper hung out way too far of the radius of the turn.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
I restored one of those for a guy last fall.

Reactions: chieffan

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Time to replace the deck belt on the Kubota, so last night I removed the deck & put the new belt on. The tensioner arm bushing was worn just enough to run the tension pulley at an angle to where it wore the belt's edge rounded. Likely what caused the belt to lose chunks of it's bottom section. I decided to just weld a metal strap under the tension arm for it to slide on, keeping it at the right height to align the pulley proper. 1/4" plate exactly aligns it, and will last a long time. This deck has always been bad about building up grass underneath and I found it had hex bolts from inside, giving grass a place to start collecting grass. Going to replace them with carriage headed bolts, then pressure wash it totally clean, then dry & coat with EZ-Slide. It's a graphite coating for grain truck beds & the like for a slick coating that helps grain slide right out. We use it on our trucks and our silage dump wagon as well. I will take pics later today & post. I put this on my Allis 416 that my BIL now has. The coating lasts one season pretty well, and actually is still some on the Allis deck after 3 years, but it does need a re-coat.

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, once I got to cleaning the deck, I was shocked to see they were not bolts, but were welded nuts from the factory! 3 were in the top of the discharge chute slide where they would definitely affect the discharge. There were 3 more welded nuts scattered around. They were for the spindle/pulley covers, which I don't have & wouldn't likely use if I had them. I would never have thought they would design a deck with obstructions in the deck to impede discharge & start collection points for grass to build up on. Anyway, they are gone now & I will just leave the holes open. Welding them closed would be better, but heat index is over 100 right now, so leaving them as-is. After lunch, I'll finish wire brushing the deck & applying the "EZ Slide". Man does having the FEL come in more than handy for such things. Without it, this job would have been 3 times as hard!

Wood Grass Water Bedrock Landscape

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the deck wire brushed, then washed with soapy water to remove residue. In this heat, it only took 5 minutes to dry completely. Then I coated with the "EZ Slide". Couldn't believe I could not find a paint brush, but had one of those foam brushes, so had to make do with it. This stuff goes on thick & starts drying almost immediately, especially the last part of the can if not kept mixed well prior uses. So it went on a bit smeary, but will be fine anyway. After it cures several hours, you burnish it to smooth & slick it further. I'll likely just use a broom. On the truck beds I use a short piece of pine 2x4. I get EZ-Slide at TSC. I will try to keep up with pics of the underside to see how it holds up this time.

Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
427 Posts
olcowhand said:
After it cures several hours, you burnish it to smooth & slick it further.

View attachment 2857 View attachment 2858
What do you mean by "burnish"? I see that TSC also sells spray on EZ-Slide have you ever tried that? I have a few mf 10/12 decks that are in really nice shape and want to keep them that way, ez slide looks like it will help protect them as well as help with grass build up.

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just rubbing it hard to further slicken the surface. On the flat ntruck beds, I use a piece of 2x4, but on the deck with odd shapes, I just used a stiff broom. Burnish is the term on the can.
Never used the spray can as we keep a gallon around for the trucks.

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been sweltering hot & humid, & farming whooped me bad. So after 9pm tonight, temps finally dropped below 90, so I got the deck slung back under the tractor & deck runs smooth. Will mow tomorrow evening.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.