Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bolens G16XT tractor with a sleeve hitch mounted self powered tiller. Tiller is raised and lowered by a small electric which. Issue is the the engine on the tiller is at a sharp angle when the tiller is raised. So far no issues with the tiller engine but I run it over full with oil. Not really a good method either. Would like to come up with a method to raise the tiller near straight up rather swing it up. Thinking a flex joint at the sleeve hitch mount and bar or cable from the tiller to the frame or fender pan on the tractor to hold it near level. Before I tried to reinvent the wheel I thought I would ask here in case one of you guys had done this. Thanks much for any and all suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
What about adding a counter weight on the other side.

Noel

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Weight is not the issue. When the tiller is raised out of the ground the engine sits at a sharp angle high on the back side. The tiller raises in an arc on the mounting pin for the sleeve hitch. I want the tiller and engine to come close to straight up, no arc. Thinking if I modify the "sleeve" part of the hitch and make it more of a hinge and use a cable or rod from the tractor close to level back to the tiller engine, or an added brace, it would raise more like 3 point than a sleeve hitch or fast hitch. Bear with me as I don't always explain myself the way others understand what I am trying to accomplish. I'll work on some drawings.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

First photo shows the tiller when raised. Second photo shows the minimal clearance between the fuel tank and the gear box. Cannot raise only the front of the motor as there is only about 1" of clearance between the engine and the gear box. First photo shows the angle of the motor when the tiller is raised. Has not been an issue so far and I bought the combo this way, except was on a Bolens 1050 tractor. No doubt it was a walk behind tiller to start with adapted to the sleeve hitch. Thanks for looking. Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
55,283 Posts
I understand what you are trying to do. Pics of what you have would help us see how this might be accomplished.

Reactions: propane1

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
I think I get what your sayin now Roger.

Noel

·
Super Moderator
55,283 Posts
Reactions: propane1

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hows your metal fab skills?? build two lift arms with a rear cross bar that pivots like a drawbar and have your sleeve hitch connection attached to that drawbar, then add an upper link that is parallel to the lift arms. To stop it from rotating side to side you would need a second bar welded in just ahead of the drawbar.

I built this self leveling drawbar setup on my Columbia that allows the hitch ball to remain approx level regardless of what height the 3 pt arms are at.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,005 Posts
What about using a 12 volt linear actuator to lift the tiller straight up where it attaches to the sleeve hitch and have it raise and lower like a fork lift? Leave it so that the tiller floats at the bottom so the linear actuator is not solidly attached to the tiller as it might not like the chucking if the tiller hits a rock or other solid object. Would have to adapt to your sleeve hitch but then the tiller would always be moving up and down in the same plane. Just a suggestion

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He wants a sleeve hitch to lift like a 3-point, basically.
That is what would work great. But getting it done with the sleeve hitch type set up. The tiller is the only thing this tractor is sued for. Several ideas that should get me going in the right direciton - I hope.

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about using a 12 volt linear actuator to lift the tiller straight up where it attaches to the sleeve hitch and have it raise and lower like a fork lift? Leave it so that the tiller floats at the bottom so the linear actuator is not solidly attached to the tiller as it might not like the chucking if the tiller hits a rock or other solid object. Would have to adapt to your sleeve hitch but then the tiller would always be moving up and down in the same plane. Just a suggestion
I looked at some linear actuators and they run from start to stop so would need a float position built in of some kind. Looking now at a up/down hinge hook up at the sleeve hitch with a arm or cable to hold the motor near level when raised or lowered. Sleeve hitches are hard to come by for this series of Bolens tractors and don't want to mess one up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts