Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, newbie here to the site and new owner of the garden tractor variety. I've used riding mowers, etc. and I have a couple larger tractors, but I just acquired a Ford LGT 165 in great condition and so far I'm enjoying it. Looks like it has good pull as I've been mainly towing trailers around with it. There are a few tweaks I'm looking into that I'm sure I can find some input here.

The first area I'm tackling is a rototiller for my garden and trying to decide if it makes sense to find a tiller to match this LGT or go with a standard 3 point mount for my other tractor. My garden, though not too small (65 x 85) is fenced in, so I like the smaller footprint of the LGT, but it seems that implements are hard to come by and not very cheap. I see a lot of people saying the tillers work great on these garden tractors, but my question is going to be if it's worth investing in a specific unit for this LGT (if I can find one) or in a 3 point universal one. Has anyone here used both that could compare them? I recently borrowed a friends 50" Land Pride 3 point tiller and ran it behind my Massey Ferguson GC2300 and was amazed at how well it worked. I had not used any tractor based tillers before. That whole combination is workable in my garden, but still a bit big and those tillers are pricey as well, though more universal to another tractor.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Andy

·
Super Moderator
54,612 Posts
To mount a tiller, you have to have the rear PTO running along the LH side. If you don't have that, then a tiller is not usable!

Reactions: Andy682

·
Hangin' with the cool kids
Ontario, Canada
2,549 Posts
Welcome.....Kenny is right, you will also need the PTO setup. Those in themselves are fairly scarce. I do see the tillers and PTOs for sale occasionally, but not often. Luckily, I have one and it works very well.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

PTO setup

Blue Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,612 Posts
And there are at least 2 different ones of those!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote name="poncho62" post="895434" timestamp="1558567726"]Welcome.....Kenny is right, you will also need the PTO kily, I have one and it works very well.

That's good info, and great pictures. Couple questions from that
1. How does the pto connect? Is it a spline connection like common tractors, or like a pin or bolt on? I'm wondering what other implements it could run.

2. How do you raise the implement off the ground? I have two mount points on the rear axle, but no third mount and of course no hydraulics.

·
Hangin' with the cool kids
Ontario, Canada
2,549 Posts
The PTO shaft is a 3/4 inch steel rod, I think...has a keyway in the end so the tiller driveshaft slips on there.

I don't have hydraulics either, there is a rod from underneath of the lift lever to the back...Hard to see in this pic.....I have a strong right arm....lol

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,612 Posts
Kenny, there are two or more, based on what tractor it fits? Or based on what implement you are connecting?
It's based on tractor's I believe. Only implement I know of for the rear PTO is the tiller. It is an engine speed PTO.

·
Super Moderator
54,612 Posts
The PTO shaft is a 3/4 inch steel rod, I think...has a keyway in the end so the tiller driveshaft slips on there.

I don't have hydraulics either, there is a rod from underneath of the lift lever to the back...Hard to see in this pic.....I have a strong right arm....lol

attachicon.gif
sarah 005 (Medium).jpg
The hydraulic lift is basically the same. Long bar runs along the RH side of the tractor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts