Garden Tractor Forums banner

Long live the 2 wheelers

77K views 386 replies 67 participants last post by  alland1725 
#1 ·
Since the two wheeled section here seems to be kind quite, i'll start a little thread to maybe perk it up. I started with 2 wheelers in the early 80's, long before collecting garden tractors was really a movement. I didnt do it as a collectable but as equipment to farm 12 acres of truck crops. I went to auctions and bought up every mostly complete tractor and attachment i could and never paid more than $20 for most of them. All the sudden i have a vast army of mighty little yard crawlers. Never even looked at a 4 wheeler until the end of the 90's, when i started the DB sububans as an actual collection. By then the supply of cheap 2 wheeled ones dried up and if i want something differnt i had to look out to the east coast. i have probally had over 500 two wheelers here since i started, mostly staying in the 100 or so odd tractor limit. I've sold at lot of them to other collectors or gave some away to younger kids to start them on there way.

Any way you look at it, the two wheeled tractor is still king of most of the poorer parts of the world, were it is the family car so to speak and doubles as the bread maker.

So lets hear from you closet two wheel people...post you stuff.. i start you off with this one: Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Spoke Automotive wheel system

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for your story , I remember as a kid my grandfather had a Standard 2 wheel tractor he used for cultivating his garden . Also he had another one but don't remember what it even looked like now . I was born too late for most of his " big " gardening . Al

#5 ·
I have always been interested in 2 wheelers. My grandfather had an old one in a shed on his farm when I was little. I always thought it was a really interesting piece. I never did find out what it was. ( David Bradley I expect now ) Zoom to last fall... My local Craigs List had an add for a Wards Plow Trac for 80.00. I ignored it. A few weeks later I came across that add again and called. It was still there, been stored in the barn since the early 60's and the guy wanted it gone. Well, I got a new project. It has been a lot of fun getting it running. Next on the list is to get it set up so it can do some real work.
Steve Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

#6 ·
Alrighty now we got a start, but we're still looking for pic's for tractors and a little story. Theres another one::
Motor vehicle Wheel Bicycle part Gas Rim

This ones a 1935 Standard twin, that i got out of a barn, when looking at a DB tractor. It mostly sat in the back shop and i was always going to do something more with. Last yr I sold it to a guy from KS to sit in his shop a while.

Attachments

#8 ·
Ok tonite story is about a garden tractor that was built for a farm CO-OP called a Blackhawk. These are well built machine that used the" slide the engine" type clutch. Mine is a 47 with a B model briggs, 16" tires, and has a special lever that locks out the tranny but still lets the pulleys turn so one could do belt work and use the clutch handel to control it. . It appears that Blawkhawk had some connection with DB, as the cultivator on mine(and others ive seen) is exactly the same one as the Handiman Jr used just before WWII. I believe that these tractors were built until around 1953, (using a model 14 briggs) as i dont see them in the farm book listings after that. This company also made farm machinary which was also sold though a farmer coop. Heres a picture of mine sitting on the shelf in the back shop. Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Agricultural machinery

Attachments

#9 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
This is a Page(Page dairy and farm equipment,before it was added to Red-E line) that i found in a truck selling mag. It lived in WI before coming here. Drove up one Sunday with my brother and son to get it. The engine is a enh wisconson that is direct coupled to the front of the tranny, which uses a left and right hand clutch to engage the wheels. This tractor is a 46 and must have been an early one as the castings in the final drives as full of air pockets and defects. For some reason the finals are cast alum and tranny cast iron. It has the spoked wheel that seem to only be found on the first yr model. I got a tool bar and some duck feet as attachments. After restoring it, i've never started the tractor or used it.

Attachments

#10 ·
no other 2 wheel tractor storys with pic.s ?, ok then,
my speedex i sold this spring, 1954 model 8 briggs spent the winter dry in the basement, the 4hp briggs is a cool bore 1960's smoker i put on, underslung plow i made from a david bradley plow, weight in the rear is from a sears suburban resting on 2 railroad track j-hooks wedged onto the hitch,.
i used this for wet heavy snow the snowblower could not throw or a quick plow of powdered snow the wind would blow back, worked great and i was sad to see it go, had cultrivator, garden plow, disk harrow and sickle bar mower,

Attachments

#12 ·
the guy wanted it bad, he knew what it was, i needed money so i bit the bullet and let it go, i will always regret it, model c i think it was, no model no. or tag on it,

#15 ·
Dont i remember you coming out to TOTFS one time? I was thinking that the tractor you did for Kevy was the 111. Dont see any of those around, and only know to 2 that exist. Nothing special about the tractor, its just one of those low produced ones.

#16 ·
trowel , was the piece on the right an attachment for the speedex ? And if so do you know what it's used for ? Thanks , Al

#17 ·
to lauber1,
i remember now, it was the 56, The Resurection of the 56 Tractor and if your talking kankakee (bradley) illinois show, then yes i was there once, long drive but worth every seconds, i had a great time. :bounce:

to ALc,
if your talking about the 2 wheel thing then no, it is not for the speedex, that's a 2-wheel planet jr. push plow with no handles, but i did think of mounting it to the back of the speedex a time or two along with the planet jr. drill seeder.:smile1:
push plow,
drill seeder,

Attachments

Reactions: Alc
#23 ·
NUTNDUN said:
Dad just picked up his first Bolens walk behind. Don't know too much information on it yet but it has a Clinton engine on it and I believe it is a Power Ho.
George, That looks like the one we had on the farm when I was a kid. Model 12B right????? I found one about a year ago. Not that pretty now, but someday!

#24 ·
Bolens Power-Ho model no. 12ba ?, with a 2hp clinton model b engine, mabey model no. b700's, still has the 5 lug car rims, what a great looking tractor, one of the earlier ones, looks like brand new straight from the factory.

#26 ·
naw, celery don't grow very good here, carrots too,
it's a mule drawn, garden tractor drawn ditcher/grader, it can be flipped to dig a right or left furrow/ditch, 1/2 size copy of this:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.