Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the piston out of my son's MF10. (HH100) Took a look at the rings as the piston came out. There was about an 1/8th inch between the ends of the rings. I think that's a little much, so here's the question... how best to figure what rings to buy? :confuse:

I have a set of digital calipers, but they will only reach in 1/2". On the up side, there's no lip at the top that I can see/feel. I almost get the impression that someone was in here & honed out the cylinder but didn't change the rings.
:wallbanging:

Is there a good source for replacement rings, or should I get original Tec rings from one of the suppliers mentioned in previous posts (Napa, psep, etc)?

Thanks in advance for the opinions - Alan:worshippy1:

·
Tractorholic
805 Posts
olcowhand said:
You could use telescopic cylinder gauges, then use the caliper on them to measure.
That is how I measured my bore, luckily my next door neighboor is a car nut and had a set to loan me....

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,407 Posts
I have a set of them, and they work very well. Mine are the Harbor Freight jobbies.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

Last night I took a set of pincher-type calipers and got my best measurement, did it 10 times. (last 5 because I was confused). The original bore is listed as 3.3125, I got measurements ranging from (variances due to low tech devices & human error I'm sure) 3.3115 to 3.319. I averaged it out & only got 3 thousandths over.

I also put the rings in from the 2nd piston & had a smaller gap between the ends. This was 47 thousandths.

He's not going to be competition plowing or hooking onto a sled, but I want it to run right. Are these tollerences close enough or should I get a new set of rings?

Thanks for all your help guys!!

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
If your talking a .047 end gap with teh ring in the cylinder, that's too much. I don't know what the factory spec is but I'd think with a 3 in bore you wouldn't want to go much over .010.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,407 Posts
Ring end gap range is .010 to .020. Your clearance is waaay too wide & definitely needs new ring set.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, forgot to ask & the manual not real clear... when timing the cam/crank... do the marks line up (cut tooth & mark)? I remember that some of the tec engines had the mark off a couple of teeth, but can't remember which way & which ones. I'll have the complete model# tonight, forgot to bring home the paper. :blush2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts