Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,
I recently picked up a Garden-all Model J and am looking for a manual and/or any info I can find on it. The garden all serial tag says it is a Model J with a serial number of 18415. The engine is a Briggs Model 23A with serial number 669498. Based on engine serial number, I believe this would be a late 1959 or 1960 model. Does that look or sound right? Does anyone know when they made this model J? I've done a bit of research and it looks like it could be a "Big J", since it has the 16" rear rims and 6" fronts. Is that correct? Thanks a lot for your input on this!

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice tractor! I love those original tires all the way around. That indeed is a “Big J”. The engine model is 23A R6D, a reverse rotation 6 to 1 geared reduction. 1959 and 60 were the only years produced of the red and white ones. Although they say Liberty, Indiana on the tag, they were built in Indianapolis. Your left brake pedal is hanging down and needs a little attention. The “Bulldog” would have 12” rear rims. I know of at least 7 Big J’s and maybe 2 or 3 Bulldogs. That one is a dandy example! How long have you had it? Did it come from far away?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there,
Thanks for the info and confirmation on approximate age. I picked the tractor up in Benson, IL, which is about 45 minutes northeast of Peoria. I've only had it about a week and previous owner had it 7 or 8 years. I don't know where it came from prior to that. I noticed the left brake pedal hanging and was planning to take a look at that shortly. Do you know where in Indianapolis they were produced? I'm originally from there, so am a bit curious.
Thanks again!
Kevin

·
Registered
340 Posts
I notice the rope start sticking out front. Is yours not electric start, a generator with two belts? All I have seen are electric start. The third of the trio produced at Indianapolis was the “Pup”.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I searched around home and looked online but couldn’t find the manufacturing location for McLean or Universal manufacturing, so I don’t know. That is interesting that your machine is rope start. I also was looking at your picture to see if I could see a battery. Now I understand why I didn’t see one. A lot of these were sold with a 44” mower deck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for checking. I did some digging and couldn't come up woth the address either. I was wondering what attachments you could get with it. A mower deck makes sense. I don't see a hitch that can be raised or lowered, so I assume these weren't offered with an option for a moldboard plow or anything of that nature, correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts