Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While attempting to put Ryan's Sleeve hitch lift handle in another hole to give him more "Lift" on the plow, we discovered a crack in the axle housing. I'm probably going to pull an all-nighter to fix this, but how to get the hubs off and why is his hub splined and the service manual shows keyed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
That just flat out SUCKS! Sorry for your troubles and hope that you get it fixed up quick!

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I don't know why the hubs would show keyed in the service manual but they are all splined. A 3 jaw puller and some heat would be your best bet along with some pb blaster. I can bring my MF12 along and Ryan is more then welcome to use it so you don't have to pull an all nighter. If you need a housing I have a good housing I can bring with me on Saturday too.

Reactions: MH81

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
That crack has likely been there for years & most likely wouldn't get worse on plow day. Where is this crack?

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an extra rear end, just hope they all come apart.

If I have problems, he'll be using my Craftsman. I have a disappointed young man right now, but Dad's trying to make it better. Leaving for a nicer garage now, wish me luck & I'll report in later (I hope).

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
olcowhand said:
That crack has likely been there for years & most likely wouldn't get worse on plow day. Where is this crack?
Right next to the tranny. It does look to be old, but it's about 3/4 the way around.

If I can't get the hub off, I may get creative with a splint, gotta get a better look at it first.

I'll take the camera if I can make time to use it.

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
Wow, that sucks Alan, hope you have it fixed by plow day. I have been working as much as I can to finish the Caterpillar for the plow day. Got the 444 ready to go with the new steering wheel on it, so good enough. Good luck.

·
Tractorholic
2,075 Posts
Sorry to learn of your problems Alan. Hopefully things will work out and Ryan will plow with the Massey on Saturday. Hope to see all of you then.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm back home & it's on wheels. Thanks for the replies & well wishes.
At some point, I'll have to replace the bearing in the replacement housing, it's OK for the weekend... may be OK for 10 yrs for all I know, just think it ought to be replaced.

Anyways, on to the repair. It was cracked, no doubt.
Hat Plumbing fixture Headgear Sculpture Water
Food Household hardware Packing materials Auto part Circle
And it's been broke a good, long time.
Eye Cuisine Dish Circle Hat
The shiny areas in the break are where it's been working back & forth while in use.
The only things holding this together was the 2 frame bolts.
The hub fought us but good. Heat & the biggest puller we had. Ran the puller with the impact. Ended up using the hub from the donor as I buggered up the splines a little on the original. It's a good fit, so I'm not worried on that one.

Attachments

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Sorry to here about that Alan.

·
Super Moderator
54,359 Posts
Good thing to have parts on hand. That has been cracked for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
That is one heck of a crack. I can't believe it lasted as long as it did. Glad you got it fixed up. :thumbs:

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
That sure was good that you found it and had spare parts . Any idea of why it cracked where it did ?

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Thats something too see.Its amazing it was still holding,even with the frame bolts.I had the bracket thats mounted to the frame break off on my 10 ,and that was with a good housing.Glad you have it fixed and working.Plough days sound like they could be fun.Larry

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
Alan, right now, you are "Super Dad" lol. Great job getting it all fixed up, can I borrow the phone both so I can get the Caterpiller ready in time? lol

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
I am amazed that it held together at all with a crack like that. Fast fix!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts