Garden Tractor Forums banner

Making Lemonade Out Of Lemons

945 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Fabman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, what do you do when your boss purchases a 2G Thumb Drive for one of you contract staff to the tune of $142 and the contract staff accidentally destroys it within 2 hours of taking possession?

Well, here's a bit more background. I work in the mental health field and my staff completes many documents in the course of the day. My contract staff completes their documentation off site therefore they must be able to maintain control of their documents no matter what computer they are on. This is where the IronKey enters. It is a military grade Thumb Drive that's encrypted, metal and interconnected with epoxy throughout the system. If it is tampered with, if you attempt to enter your password more than 10 times incorrectly or if you accidentally bend the USB end that goes into the computer......it will SELF-DESTRUCT.

Needless to say my staff was embarrassed and offered to buy the company a new one. I have great confidence in my boss so I did not worry taking this news to him other than I felt terrible for my staff and I empathized with my boss, knowing he had to decide whether to show mercy and buy another one or allow for a lesson learned and take the staff up on their offer to shell out $142 for another drive. Being the great guy he is my boss made the purchase with very little thought and within a week the new drive was back in the hands of my staff.

So, back to the point of this post. I can't recall where I was but a few days ago it hit me. Why not make a bottle opener out of the destroyed thumb drive? I looked around and found an old bottle opener and I promptly set about to drill out the center of the drive to make room for the bottle opener. A bit of epoxy, a dab of JB Weld and a splash of paint and the super secure, very expensive bottle opener was ready for delivery.

I'm off to work to present my boss, who by the way enjoys a beer (or two or three) from time-to-time, with his very own IronKey Bottle Opener. Three cheers to boss' who give a damn about their employees and are quick to show grace and mercy under pressure.

Cloud Wood Drinkware Floor Material property

Cosmetics Rectangle Box Material property Packaging and labeling

Brown Wood Tree Rectangle Grey

Wood Tints and shades Everyday carry Automotive exterior Household hardware

Hand Gadget Audio equipment Finger Plant

Gesture Finger Font Material property Thumb

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I presented it to my boss a few minutes ago at the start of a staff meeting. Yes it was a surprise and I may not have a job once the meeting

is out. I'm currently hiding under my desk doing work as quietly as I can. Did I mention my boss doesn't like surprises? :( I'll keep you posted about how my career is going after today. :bigrofl:

Can't give a guy a bottle opener without a bottle to open....right?

Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Fluid Glass bottle

Attachments

#10 ·
presented it to my boss a few minutes ago at the start of a staff meeting. I'll keep you posted about how my career is going after today. :bigrofl:

Can't give a guy a bottle opener without a bottle to open....right?

attachicon.gif
ironkey gift pack.jpg
You're firing on all cylinders now! IMHO, That was well thought out and executed. Can hardly wait to see the version you produce for us here at GTtalk :D Consider me a willing part of the quality control group :thumbs:

#12 ·
Well, here's my boss after his meeting let out. I'm pleased to report that I'm still employed. :thumbs:

Smile Hand Bottle Gesture Wood

When I walked into my boss' office he was reading the pamphlet. He looked at me, pointing to the price ($142.78) on the label I made for the box, and asked how I got that much money to purchase the bottle opener. I guess I did too good of a job making it look legit cause he didn't even realize it was the broken thumb drive and thought I had purchased this for him. When he realized it was the actual thumb drive that had been busted his response to priceless.

I can vouch to the fact that when I left tonight at 6:00 p.m. the bottle was still unopened. I'm fairly confident the bottle is not only opened but emptied by now. Thanks for joining in on the fun today.

BTW, my boss is a fellow GT owner. He has a Cub Cadet with a FEL, 2 stage snow blower, mower deck and tiller with 3 pt. hitch.

Attachments

#13 ·
Great idea, looks like it went over well.

Reactions: Moosetales
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.