Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a Massey 10 that I built. I used 6.70x15 rear tires. The inner rims are from a Dodge caravan and the outer ones are from a VW I think. The front tires are 6x12 ags. For the front hubs I found an old Sears tranny that had 1 inch shafts with a keyway and removed those hubs. I then put in 1 inch to 3/4 inch reducer bushings in the hubs so they would work on the Massey 3/4 spindles.
I like the looks of these old Massey tractors and the fact that they are styled just like the Massey farm tractors built at that time.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Nice job on this one,I really like the looks of dual wheels on a tractor.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
powerstroke1040 said:
Any ideas on how to do the same to a bush hog d410 love the dual wheels
If you like dual wheels,check out my thread titled "Dual Wheels" under General Tractor Talk.

·
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum cubcader107! I'm glad you found us and I think you will like all the friendly tractor nuts who hang out here.

·
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Justwalt, These are Goodyear 6.70x15 tires. I buy them from our local tire dealer who does a lot of ag tires. The last pair of these I bought was 2 years ago at their spring farm tire sale and they ran me $70.00 each. I haven't priced them latley.

Reactions: justwalt

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
Tractor Mike: I realize this thread is almost a year old. But this is one cool tractor!
I do have a question, what is the ground clearance on this machine?
One short coming I see with most garden tractors is ground clearance. I think this is just what I pictured in my head, for garden cultivation. I'm planning to plant an acre or so of sweetcorn.
Running single rear wheels, not duals.

·
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you like my Massey. The tractor is in storage right now so I can't actually measure how much higher it is but overall it is 2 1/2 to 3 inches higher than stock. The rear tires measure just under 28 inches tall so compared to a 23x8.50x12 you have about a 5 inch taller tire and divide that by 2 and you get 2 1/2 inches of lift on the back end. The tractor sits level so the 6x12 tires in front must raise it about the same over the stock 8 inch front tires. The seat pan is raised 1 1/2 inches and the tires run a lot closer to the edge of the fender than the stock tires did. With the taller tires I did pick up some top end speed also, she kites right along.
When I get out to the storage shed I'll measure the under axle clearance for you and let you know what it comes out to be.
Do you have a cultivator for your tractor now? What tractor are you going to use? How wide is your tractor and how narrow can you make it? If you wanted to cultivate the sweet corn even when it is quite tall you could always make a cultivator that tills the full width of the tractor and plant your rows several inches wider than the tractor is wide and just cultivate between the rows and not have to drive the tractor over the corn. Farmers used to plant corn and beans on 38 inch rows. Depending on your tractor you wouldn't have to plant your corn much wider than that to fit between the rows.
You could make your cultivator work so you could drive over the rows when the corn was short and it would be easier to see the corn this way when it was short. When the corn got to tall to drive over the rows with the tractor you could go between the rows if it needed to be cultivated. Just some ideas for you.
The 38 inch spacing for planting was a carryover from horse drawn equipment days. 38 inches was wide enough for a horse to go between the rows.
I'll get the actual clearance for you this weekend.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
I don't have a particular tractor on hand or in mind to makes the conversion. I have a JD 318 amd a Yard King PRO(Murray) right now.
I'll be looking for one to dedicate to this project. The 38" row concept is good as I have 8.9 acres, 5 of which coud be dedicated to crops and space is not an issue. I grew up in the 60's when mounted cultivators were common and still see the benifits of having the cultivator up front where you can see what your doing. I grew up on an Avery Model A and a 44 Massey Harris and a Massey would suit me fine if I can find one around here.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I do like this tractor setup. It is really nice looking. One question though, is it possible to get a side view?

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.