Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off shortly to go fix my Massey MF14 number 1. Engine runs awesome till you put a load on it the it starts acting up big time, Almost seems as if timing changes. After engine stalls you can choke it and it will start right back up, Have already gone over electrical and changed carbs from Massey number 2, I'm glad I got the second one for Christmas as it now has the snow blower instead of the blade I just attached to it. Both are 1974 I am kind of leaning towards the balance gears are going, Any suggestions would be great if anyone has had this issue

Massey 1 is the nicely painted one

Massey 2 is the dull one

Jim

Attachments

·
Jack of all trades, master of none.
1,133 Posts
How does it idle with no load on it? Does it hunt or surge at all? And how does it run wide open with no load? Any surging then?

·
372 Posts
Sounds like it is not getting enough fuel to the engine if it will start up by using the choke. Does it have a fuel pump on the engine? or just a fuel line to the carb? is tank shut off valve open all the way? Is there enough gas in the tank? I have a 14 without a fuel pump and if the tank is not at least 1/3 full there is not enough gas for the engine to run right.

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
Nice tractors you have. My 14 had an stuck exhaust valve. Only would act up when engine was hot, running under load, worked good with no load. And by hot, I mean normal engine temperature. Gas cap not venting to allow air in so gas can flow out .

Noel

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhaust valve has already been cleaned and reinstalled. Engine has no surging to speak of at any position of the throttle. Carb seems to be getting gas all the time. It has had this issue when I got it and thought I'd fixed it by changing the coil. One that was on it needed external resistor so replaced with a good coil dad had in the shop. When engine acts up there seems to be mechanical noise so that what made me think ball ace gears. Have the engine out now and seems to be on good shape inside.
This one has dad and I puzzled.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Loose balance gears won't cause your symptoms. Sounds like not enough fuel in the carb bowl when the governor opens the throttle for the load. I'd check the entire fuel system starting by pulling the tank fuel line off at the fuel pump to check for full flow. If flow is restricted, trash may be blocking the fuel tank outlet, or fuel cap not venting. If full flow, then pull the pump apart. The check valves tend to either gum up, or come loose from their base. If check valves aren't working, hardly any fuel will be delivered to the carb. In rare cases, the fuel pump arm that engages the cam lobe will be bent, not pushing the pump a full stroke.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the problem was still there. If you idle down fast enough it will clear itself. When I got the tractor the original fuel tank had a hole so replaced tank and all new lines. Fuel pump seems to work normal. Can drive tractor all around and no issues. When I try to use a attachment it acts up. This tractor hadn't ran in 10 years before I got it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I put the carb of this one on the other there was no difference in that tractors performance so I don't think it was the card but will take a look at the fuel pump

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
Bad ground/connection at the condenser will cause trouble. Take the condenser off, clean up connection to the engine block. Check engine ground to frame. Set points at .022.

Noel

Reactions: James Bosma

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
When I put the carb of this one on the other there was no difference in that tractors performance so I don't think it was the card but will take a look at the fuel pump
You don't need the fuel pump on a MF14 or 16, I have 2 MF16's not using the pump, gravity feed and it will run till the tank is empty.

Try bypassing it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will try bypassing the fuel pump tomorrow, Took it apart today and the check valves are good and diaphram is good aswel.

I did find the exhaust vavle clearance is .020 and intake is .012 will adjust them tomorrow.

I purchased this tractor in the spring for a hell of a deal and never took the engine apart.

Had the rest of the tractor apart, cleaned, fixed, painted and decaled the tractor and now find engine troubles

You can move trailers around and drive it all over the place and will not act up

I attached the snowblower and seemed fine at first, then when we got snow and tried the blower she acted up

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep head bolts were tight. Head gasket looks good. No blow by. This is a good issue. Evdrythibg I have tried and everyone has suggested has not fixed it. Only thing I haven't done is by pass the fuel pump.

·
Jack of all trades, master of none.
1,133 Posts
This may sound dumb, but did you try a new spark plug? Sometimes if the spark is getting weak, if you put a load on it it will miss. Which could also be the wiring ground or condenser like stated above. The spark can look good when the plug is out but it changes under compression

Reactions: James Bosma

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today i pulled the engine and took it apart, When I got the tractor they said needed new head gasket but it also came with part of a complete gasket kit so I know the previous owner had the motor apart. Little voice inside told me to check.

Found the was zero end play in crank when specs calls for .003 to .020.

Corrected that problem

Pulled the cam and the A C R seems to be fine

Cleaned, lapped and set the valves

Cleaned the fuel pump

Got the engine reassembled and now just have to check and set ignition timing then install in the tractor and see if problems been fixed.

I think there was a few minor issues which caused this problem I am having

This one has a 3 point hitch and like to try plowing this year with it so it needs to run right

1 - 20 of 47 Posts