Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and looked at a 1450 Massey last night and it had an Eaton Hydro in it. Looks quite original and the sheet metal has not been repainted.
I always thought that Massey used Sunstrand exclusively.

Can anybody verify if an Masseys were produced with the Eaton Hydro or could this one be a re-badged Snapper?

·
1,499 Posts
Ducky, I looked at 2 Snapper 1650s and my Massey 1450 and they all had the same finned hydro unit in them. I am sure that all 3 had original hydros in them.

·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike.
I guess I had been wrong all this time.
There one for sale here in Freedom for $800 with a deck no PTO or # point. Also included another deck with parts missing.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,407 Posts
Too many of these Eaton hydro's have been showing up lately for all of them to be redone Snappers. I think this all verifies that Massey did indeed use Eaton's in at least the 50 series. Ducky & I had a great phone conversation last night about this & lots of other stuff.

·
Tractorholic
1,564 Posts
My question is: I have a 1650 with an Eaton, will a Sunstrand fit?

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,407 Posts
tinnern said:
My question is: I have a 1650 with an Eaton, will a Sunstrand fit?
TUDOR said:
Not without changing the rear end housing. The mounting holes are different.
All the control linkages are different as well.

·
Masseyholic
157 Posts
Transaxles are the same peerless model....(don't know the exact number) the hydros themsevles are the only differences.
easy way to tell, cooling fins = eaton.
no cooling fins=sunstrand

By the way my snapper 1650 and my dad's MF 1650 both use eatons.

Reactions: ratracenomore

·
Tractorholic
153 Posts
Yes my two Massey 1650 I had were both Eaton. The 1655 I have now has the sundstrand in it. I think the sundstrand is a faster tranny not sure but seams like a quicker machine all though it does have 26 inch rear tires

1 - 15 of 15 Posts