Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tractorholic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I have a question:
Has anyone ever seen a MF16 voltage regulator produce a -3 vlots off the batt terminal? The engine is the Kohler K341. The Voltage Regulator is a new unit (not Kohler genuine parts). I have confirmed the stator output varies with engine rpm up to 29VAC as it should. I have even tried a different brand (I think it was JD) and had no luck.

Any thoughts....could I be missing something?

Thanks
Steve

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
If the voltage regulator isn't grounded, it will not do it's thing. They ground through the mounting bolt, so be sure to scrape the paint to get a good ground. Another good idea is to use the toothed lock washers. They will bite right through paint to get the ground.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
You can always attach a ground directly too by running a wire from the ground terminal of the battery to a ring terminal that is mounted with the regulator mounting screw. Some of the newer Kohlers with plastic shrouds use this method.

·
Tractorholic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I took an alligator clip jumper wire from the aluminum housing portion of the regulator to the neg terminal of the battery...and ohmed it out with a meter to double check the connection. The AC wires are attached to the AC spades. With the engine at idle I am reading -1 volt at the BATT termainl, when I throddle up it will change to -3volts. Red + meter lead on Batt and Black - lead on the battery.

Typically, I would think the regulator is bad, but in this case, I have tried 3 used and 2 new regulators....could I really have 5 bad regulators.....even if they are not the OEM replacement?? They all came off a K341....

This thing seems very simple but its beatin me up!

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I'm thinking you need to flip the leads on your meter. I would set your meter to DC, then check voltage at battery to see if it rises when you go full throttle. If voltage rises 1 or more volts DC, then aqll is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.