Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first attempt at photos on the forum. these are pics of the 3 point on my massey 16 that i think was built by previous owner. it does not match the diagram in my manual or the pics on the forum.

i have not done much to the tractor itself in the one week since i brought it home. i have straightened out the wiring a little and adjusted the carb so that it does start and idle fairly well. if the motor does not start right away it seems to want to hydraulic the piston. next time it does this i will pull the plug and see if cylinder is full of fuel.

i need to read more on the forum because this is my first massey i'll be working on. my other tractors are john deere, case, kubota and yanmar.

thanks

keith

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Cool looking 3-point.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Hey,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Hi Keith

Welcome to GTT.

Lots of good info here. Do some searching, or just ask us. Sometimes we

know the answers.

You're right, that's not a factory 3pt, but sure looks like it'll do the job.

About it hydraulic locking up: You'd have to do an awefull lot of cranking

to get to that point. I'd be leaning more towards a tired starter.

Will

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor Keith. I'd check the starter circuit and make sure you have clean and secure connections throughout including the connection from the engine chassis back to the battery - terminal. A tired starter will make the engine hard to start at the best of times. With these older Kohler K's they often have a lot of carbon buildup in the head and top of the piston. The maintenance schedule recommends removing the head and de carboning every 500hrs. It isn't often done. You might want to consider picking up a head gasket and having a look at the top end. This will also tell you what condition things are in. The carbon can cause a lot of issues if it's not removed.

·
Junk Whisperer
1,443 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It looks as if they, super-sized the factory components.

Looks pretty stout.

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Kieth, Someone did a very nice job on that Fab'ed 3 PT hitch. I would make sure that you check all the wiring connections. And don't forget about the ground, we all seem to forget that one.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. :thumbs:

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
Wood Font Red Gas Lock , glad to have ya with us

Attachments

·
Has anybody seen my coffee ?
1,366 Posts
The actual 3 point arms look like they are for a 990 MTD.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Welcome Keith. Glad you joined.

·
Has anybody seen my coffee ?
1,366 Posts
The 990's used the same peerless 2 speed hydro trans and the axle housing have the same flanges for the 3 PH.I have had a half dozen of the 990 tractors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts