Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a massey 1650, bought it used, and sight unseen (normally dont do this, but was willing to wager on it).

It works great, EXCEPT the forward/reverse foot pedal is very loose, and it does not stop very well.

there is no central / neutral stop - i kinda have to find the sweet spot, then pop it in and out of gear (sometimes with grinding gears)

should the pedal normally return to the centre / neutral position (not forward or reverse). is there a relatively easy way to diagnose / fix this? i dont want to damage it.

Unfortunately, this is my first hydrostatic tractor, and im not sure what it is supposed to do.

I bought it because it has a front end loader (homemade) and i had a lot of landscaping to do. that was last year. i did my landscaping, and am done with working the tractor, but i would now like to restore it, maybe..

thanks for any help

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Hi there, fellow Ontario'an.

Welcome to GTT. :wave:

Quick answer to your ? is yes, it should return to neutral.

First thing I would do, is remove the plastic tunnel cover, and the 2

side panels. Spray all the linkage points with Fluid Film/WD40, or whatever

you like. Or it could be a broken return spring, which will be visible.

Maybe if you post some pictures, we can spot something.

Here is a good site, just in case you're not aware of it.

agcopartsbooks. com

Sign in as a guest.

Also, there are manuals available for free here after you've a certain

number of posts.

Hopefully this helps you some, but ask away if you have more ??s

Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Welcome to GTTalk. Congrats on the new tractor. It sounds like you should be able to get that hydro control problem sorted out.

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
"Grinding Gears"?? This when going into the range with lever on fender?? Other than that, should be NO gear noises. All hydros have N in middle and should go to N when you step on a Brake pedal also. Some have brake on other side, others kind of above the hydro pedal, I forget which you had. Many hydros of all brands have this N problem over time and need re-adjusting. Best you get the manual, or I see some have links here now, and study and try that.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Likely just a broken return spring. Grinding when putting into hi or low range is only because the foot pedal isn't sitting on the neutral position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts