Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electric PTO on the Massey MF1655 decided to let loose again. Another rivet on one of the fingers broke. I found some electric PTOs on ebay that I think may work since they are for a JD 318 which also has the Onan in it. Not sure what the part number is or if one would be available for the Massey. Would like to just get a new one and fix it and be done with it.

Reactions: propane1

·
Super Moderator
54,602 Posts
Is that on an 1-7/16" shaft?

Reactions: NUTNDUN

·
Super Moderator
54,602 Posts
Just imagine what an 1-7/16" PTO would cost new!

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
George, if you never plan to use a mower deck, then all this runs is the hydraulic pump? If so, then just put a normal pulley on the engine to run the hydraulics. That's how I have my 1655D set up. Even before I took the Onan out & replaced with the diesel, the drag of the pump didn't affect starting at all....even in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
George, if you never plan to use a mower deck, then all this runs is the hydraulic pump? If so, then just put a normal pulley on the engine to run the hydraulics. That's how I have my 1655D set up. Even before I took the Onan out & replaced with the diesel, the drag of the pump didn't affect starting at all....even in cold weather.
What pulley setup did you use? I doubt I would run the mower deck off of it. Too much of a pain to remove the loader even though I could leave it on if I were to do the mower deck.

Reason I mentioned the John Deere was I came across some of these electric PTOs on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251525499019

·
Tractorholic
1,545 Posts
George do you have any pics of a pto for the Massey I may have some off of Sears tractors hanging around as the Deere's got some of them too would think you could have a sleeve made to make them fit if the pulley sizes are correct

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
George do you have any pics of a pto for the Massey I may have some off of Sears tractors hanging around as the Deere's got some of them too would think you could have a sleeve made to make them fit if the pulley sizes are correct
I can get some pictures tomorrow. There is bound to be something else that would work. I could also do like Daniel suggested and do a straight up pulley as I doubt I will ever use the mower deck with it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I cured the problem of no elec. clutches available for 1855s/Onans. No kids or much in animals around my place, so I used my MIG welder. Now it runs all the time but is a pain in the backside to start with the snow blower on.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I could have sworn my 1855 had a 1 & 7/16 clutch on the front, maybe I am wrong- always a first time :dancingbanana: . I do remember one other brand though that used a very simliar if not the same electric PTO assembly.

I have looked at mine and tried to figure out how to make it mechanical with a lever and idler pulley.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

·
Super Moderator
54,602 Posts
Most of the Onan's are 1-7/16" shaft. Makes it hard to find anything to fit them!

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Most of the Onan's are 1-7/16" shaft. Makes it hard to find anything to fit them!
The JD 318 is definitely 1 & 7/16", so if the Massey's Onan is the same, then a 318 clutch will fit. I measured the Onan I did have in my 1655, but that Onan came out of a 318 Deere. I got the 1655 without an engine.

Likely doesn't matter now that Bob has put out an offer George can't likely refuse! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.