Garden Tractor Forums banner

Massey 1655 Hydraulic Oil

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  olcowhand 
#1 ·
I know this is probably posted somewhere but I don't have time to search right now with posting images. Can someone tell me what type of oil the hyro system takes on the 1655? I gotta figure out what is up with it as far as acting weird when you try to go, makes funny noises and doesn't go fast enough. I never did get a chance to check the fluid level in it. So I am going to start there.

#2 ·
It calls for Permatran,but any good hydraulic fluid will work.I am using a New Holland badged fluid right now.I think even ATF will work,and a lot of people use Shell Rotella 15W 40 in them too.

#3 ·
If it's red that's in there, just use Dexron III. 10w30 or 15w40 does fine too but they're better in warmer climates. Worn hydro's do far better with the motor oil, even in cooler temps. All my manuals call for ATF, but the MF14 manual specifies motor oil for heavy duty use, and it's the same Sundstrand unit, except for control linkages & such.

#4 ·
I think there is something wrong with mine. When it is cold, like the first start in the morning in the cooler temps it really creaks and groans and surges, makes the control pedal move too. It doesn't want to get going without bogging the motor pretty hard. Once you can move to where it doesn't bog the motor down it seems like it just doesn't have the speed or torque it should and then if you climb a hill in high gear it drops to like half speed. The oil that is in it now is clear like hydro oil.

I am guessing I can fill through the hole at the top of the pump under the seat? It was a little low going by the dipstick and I added some through the dipstick tube and tried it again and same thing. I think I might try and drain the fluid and put 10-30 in it. If it gets better then I know the pump is shot.

#6 ·
The other thing that I think I found is I didn't realize there were belts going from the motor to the drive shaft. I changed the oil in the hydro with 10w-30 and took it out to try it. If you would step on the pedal pretty quick you could hear something funny. Almost like air leaking out of a cylinder. I was thinking maybe there was air in the system but as I was driving around you could kind of smell a burning smell especially when I was trying to go up the hill. I got to looking and realized there were belts there and there isn't that much tension on them.

Problem is how in the heck do you get in there to adjust those two nuts?

Also you happen to have a filter number off hand so I can get one?

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I take the right hand side panel off to get in there.Those belts do wear,but so do the pulleys.I replaced the belts on mine,but they were still slipping under load. It turned out that the pulleys were worn enough that the belts were going down in the pulleys too far and not gripping on the sides very well.

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I am going to try and get the filter for it tomorrow. I will also check the pulleys when I do the belt tension but it seems like it won't be anything major then :D

#10 ·
NUTNDUN said:
Thanks guys. I am going to try and get the filter for it tomorrow. I will also check the pulleys when I do the belt tension but it seems like it won't be anything major then :D
You can pull off the plastic driveshaft cover & get to the belt tensioner. Tight fit, but possible. The adjuster system is to the left as sitting on tractor. I made a sticky for the filter number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.