Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Here's my idea see what you guys think.

After doing 2 full restorations on my 2 porter cables I still had a ton of parts left over. So I stashed them away for spares. So after finishing up some other projects I started to look for my next addition

Sooo... after seeing an executive online I got thinking I have all these left over porter cable parts. Let's see if I can come up with a massey clone. It will be a challenge but that's why I love this sport.

Anyway I got to inventory what I have.

I know i will need to track down a hood and grill, ( I might just make one for it) and a tool tray with fenders. Tires, I got rims. The rest of the sheet metal I can fab.

Does anyone make a decal set?

And then decide on what engine? It's got to be a pull start. Probably look for a 5 3/4 hp briggs

Any Thoughts Or Suggestions Or comments? ?? Should I go for it?

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
First thing is first. Please refrain from calling the hobby a "sport", because I am not good at sports....

Secondly. I would go for it if I were you. But with one prerequisite. Somewhere on it mount a tag that startes it is a clone.

Third. I own all the parts to make one myself, and will never do it.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
The decal sets are available as I bought mine on ebay from a David Michael (419) 737 2920 and a 7hp Kohler if you can find one

·
the homeless tractor hoarder
5,247 Posts
I agree it could be a fun project. I like the idea of a serial tag stating its a clone. If its somethig you would never sell I say go for it. If there is a possibility it could be sold down the line then there is the possibility that a future owner would be dishonest and offer it as an original trying to cash in.

A Kohler engine is the way to go. The grille shell could be made from fiberglass pretty easily. The correct fenders or very close ones could be found.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.
I did get the frame out and some parts down and washed. I guess it's a go.
I like the idea of tagging it. As for selling it later I give you what I tell the wife yeah maybe the next one I will sell.
Casey I call it a Sport since it's the only one I am good at. Maybe someday we can get t shirts with our names on the back. If you want to part it out let me know.
Hank my jersey bud I will be bugging you for some detail photos and thnx for the info.
As for the kohler it's more of trying to find one reasonable priced. I am kicking around putting an older hh60 tecumseh off a tiller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts